ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What brand of heater do you all recommend?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Default What brand of heater do you all recommend?

Looked through some old posts regarding this question but many of them were pretty old. Back when I had discus ( a hundred years ago) I always used and loved Visi Therms. What brands are favored nowadays?
    Last edited by Tikitank; 12-01-2021 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Grammar

Default Re: What brand of heater do you all recommend?

The best ones are the Aqueon Pro. They're not the highest priced heaters but they are quite expenive. Since I have a medium size fish room I use Cascades in my tanks. I put my Aqueon Pro's in my water storage containers where the container might be sitting empty for a few minutes or might be shattered by the sump pump when I move it from one container to the other.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Thanks. Just looked them up and Chewy has a buy 2 get one free sale! You’re right. They’re not cheap!

I wish I had the money to buy one for all my tanks but I can't. Second best will do well enough because my fish room is warm. Congrats on finding such a great deal. My LFS that buys my homebred fish sells me stuff at their cost. How much is chewy asking for the 2? Just curious.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Not a fan of aqueon. Put the pro heater is the brand stand out. I’ve got 2 300w for a few years now and still running. I have them on an ink bird controller. Also using for a little over a year a hygger 500w on one of my 125s. Plus on the rest of the tanks I’m using the finnex titanium heaters with the controller outside the tank.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

I use two Bulk Reef Supply 300W heaters with their controller in my sump for my 125-gallon discus tank. Excellent products are well worth the initial cost in the long run. WOW just checked the current pricing, forget this. I got my over a year ago and were a whole lot cheaper on what the pricing is today!
    Last edited by farebox; 12-02-2021 at 09:59 AM.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    I use two Bulk Reef Supply 300W heaters with their controller in my sump for my 125-gallon discus tank. Excellent products are well worth the initial cost in the long run. WOW just checked the current pricing, forget this. I got my over a year ago and were a whole lot cheaper on what the pricing is today!
    I've actually got a couple of these set ups, not very old, that I was considering posting for sale. Not really supposed to advertise sales it these threads, so PM me if you'd like more info.
    Steve

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Sorry Liz, missed this question. Chewy had them for I think $48 a piece for a 300wt. Buy 2 get one free. I took that deal and called to order instead of buying online. I ordered the 3 heaters and the guy gave me an additional $14 off - not sure why. I buy dog food from them so maybe…. Wasn’t going to question him AND I got free shipping. I added up the order afterwards and ended up paying $29 per heater which made my day.

I'm happy for you. I hope I don't spoil by telling you that the pet store lets me have them for $20. each. I have a 80 credit with them and they want me to bring a bunch more plecos, shrimp and mystery snails. They're doing a great business and selling everything I bring them. Pet Smart and Pet Sense are doing nothing. It's wonderful to see an old fashioned mom and pop shop whup the chains. When I go after Christmas I'll take them my freshwater critters I'll get a couple more Aqueon's while I'm there.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by Tikitank View Post
    Looked through some old posts regarding this question but many of them were pretty old. Back when I had discus ( a hundred years ago) I always used and loved Visi Therms. What brands are favored nowadays?
    Hi @Tiktank

I've had aquariums for over 50 years and my opinion is all heaters will eventually fail. Hopefully they fail 'open' and just fail to come on but many times they fail 'closed' and the heating element runs continuously. As for good heaters I like the Hydor ETH series for 'in-line' heaters that have held up well for me. I have had no failures in any of mine with over 8 years of service......just be sure to install them in the vertical position as the instructions prescribe. For an in-tank submersible I like the Fluval "M Series" as just a basic well-built heater. I do not recommend Marineland heaters. As I stated, all heaters will fail. In tanks where fish loss is unthinkable I use an Inkbird-306A temperature controller. I set the controller for the temperature range I want to maintain and the heater itself for a few degrees above the maximum I want to maintain. That way if the Inkbird sticks "on" the thermostat in the heater acts as a fail-safe. I do this on my 75 gallon with two heaters and F-1 Red Spot Green Discus from Rio Nanay (Symphysodon aequifasciatus). Hope this helps! -Roy

I have been using the Fluvial E series heaters for my 75g tanks with the Inkebird ITC-306A wifi controller they work great and the Heaters are very easy to set with the digital readout. But the safety of adding the controller is priceless.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

My new Aqueon Pro 300 heaters only go up to 88 degrees. Trying to find a few that will go up to 93 but haven’t found them yet. What do you guys use to get those higher temps?

Real Name
    Francis

EHEIM JAGER SUBMERSIBLE HEATER will go up to 93F and to go up any higher you need those Titanium heaters with a temperature controller .

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/aquar...m-heaters.html
    Grasshopper
    Francis

EHEIM heaters from Jehmco.. Two 250 on 65 gallon so if one overheats doesn't kill fish. One 350 didn't heat water up to temp I wanted.

Seattle... LOVE your discus and tank set-up

I mean 1 EHEIM 250 didn't heat to temp I wanted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast