AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from across the Pond - Need all the advise possible

Default Hello from across the Pond - Need all the advise possible

Hello to everyone on this amazing forum

New to Discus hobby but not the aquatic world. I had a 3000lt full blown reef tank before having it all broken down due health reasons and have been away from the hobby. However as i have been missing the aquatic world and not being able to use RO water ro create salt mixes I decided to go for one for hobby which invccolved one of my favourite fishes. Discus

I have been reading and learning about different issues one might face keeping Discus and what's needed for optimum growth and health of these beautiful creatures.

Tank Size : 2000mm x 600mm x 700mm(H) - Opyi white front and sides, black normal float back
    Sump Size: 1400mm x 400mm x 500mm(H)
    External Filters: 2 x Eheim Pro 3 1200 XLT
    Filter Media: 4 x Eheim Media Set pro 3 2080/2190 (https://eheim.com/en_GB/aquatics/fil...el-3-2080/2180)
    Lighting: TBC

Currently in process of designing the tank with a sump.... which took a while to convince myself as I wanted an easier method with external filters and beings illy I purchased two Eheims which were on black Friday offer I know silly but now decided to have the sump which means I will be running a sum with two of these bad boys

https://eheim.com/en_GB/aquatics/tec...onel-3-1200xlt

Unfortunately the guys who I commissioned to make my tank as good as they are they do not provide any design or advsie service, so part of my quest has been drawing yeah very hard for me lol and designing how everything will work.

Please see deign below and please comment on what you think own the design. Not sure how the flow will work and how practical the sump will be as its different to a reef sump obvisouly.

the concept of the sump will be water in then through 4" filter socket, then filter wool and pads and then K1 media then filter wool and pads and then again an area similar to K1 compartment but for fluidised reactor to run Seachem Purigen and Twinstar Yotta Plus x 2 instead of UV lights and then return pump back to the tank.
    Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 16.43.24.jpgScreenshot 2021-12-08 at 16.43.32.jpgScreenshot 2021-12-08 at 16.43.50.jpg

All sizes are in mm

Still need to decide on the lighting and also now sure how the flow will work , well I will have two inlet from top corners of the tank left and right but how much I can push through not sure yet it .

I would appreciate if you can advise on how you see my design and what faults I might face,

This to be continued on more info as I get more time to write.

Look forward to hearing from you

Kind Regards
    Caspian
    Last edited by Caspian; 12-08-2021 at 01:08 PM.

Default Re: Hello from across the Pond - Need all the advise possible

Not sure If it is the right place to start this thread that will lead into completing the setup and Keeping the fish ? Please correct me if I am in the wrong place.. maybe I have to start my thread in Our Tank Journals?
    Last edited by Caspian; 12-08-2021 at 01:09 PM.

I've been around for a long time and have come to believe that less is better with Discus except for WC. Your fancy design is way over my head, I'm afraid. All that is necessary for keeping Discus successfully is a tank, sponge filters and large daily WC with stable water. You'd be better off spending your time designing a fast and efficient way to do WC.
    Mama Bear

Hi Liz

Thank you for your advise, you are right as most likely I will not be using the eheims however keep the sump with external filter, just to keep things clean in the main tank , however currently being in a rented flat I’m limited on what I can do for my own convenience therefore water change will be twice a week using tap water as I will be getting Stendker Discus this is why I thought I have a better filtration in place

I've had both Asian and German fish. Disease transmission is almost nil with German bred fish I have never found Stendker more resilient to poor water quality than Asian fish regardless of what Stendker says.
    Mama Bear

That’s interesting

Real Name
    Brian

Welcome to SimplyDiscus! I'm in the same position as Liz in that I just use sponges and water changes. Sumps are above me but there are some members who can probably provide assistance in this area. In the future, I do plan on committing to a larger setup, possibly with a sump, so I'll watch closely...

Hello Brian

Thank you for your response. Sumps are convenient to have when it comes to filtration however does not imply that you do any less water changes as some would hope . If I had my own place and not an apartment then like Liz said I would have concentrated on water changing method, having a separate tank with aged water and a drain valve for the tank one goes out and ones goes in. I think currently my idea of water change will be twice a week for about 50% (I do not have much of a pressure either which makes life even more difficult). I will have to put a water conditioner/primer in the tank and then open the tap water into the tank (with the right temperature ). Plan is to get grown Discus rather than small ones that's if my pocket allows just to avoid having stunted discus

That should woke fine for you as long as you keep your stocking level on the low side.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
    Sumps are convenient to have when it comes to filtration however does not imply that you do any less water changes as some would hope
    It's good you understand this even before you jump in. Far too many people don't realize how much discus rely on clean water.

I think currently my idea of water change will be twice a week for about 50%
    I'm not aware of the water quality in London, but if you're not planning for a water storage bin, I suggest you monitor your fish's behavior before and after a water change that large. Start smaller and adjust based upon your observations. Depending on the ph fluctuations and compressed gasses, 50% can be very stressful, especially during seasonal changes. Some people can get away with it and others cannot because everyone's water is different. Example - I can do 40% straight from tap during summer with little effect on my discus, but only 25%-30% in winter when the ground water is colder and gasses are more compressed.

Plan is to get grown Discus rather than small ones that's if my pocket allows just to avoid having stunted discus
    It's also good you know what a stunted discus is and how it happens. Good decision and as you acquire more tanks to feed your new addiction then you can start with whatever size you want

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    That should woke fine for you as long as you keep your stocking level on the low side.
    Hi Liz

Please elaborate on this further

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    It's good you understand this even before you jump in. Far too many people don't realize how much discus rely on clean water.

Well unfortunately people want to have things without knowing what to do and not to do and I guess part of our human nature wanting to experience things ourselves 🙈… I have been reading a lot about discus still a lot more to learn and thanks to you and everyone on this lovely forum with all the info to go through

I'm not aware of the water quality in London, but if you're not planning for a water storage bin, I suggest you monitor your fish's behavior before and after a water change that large. Start smaller and adjust based upon your observations. Depending on the ph fluctuations and compressed gasses, 50% can be very stressful, especially during seasonal changes. Some people can get away with it and others cannot because everyone's water is different. Example - I can do 40% straight from tap during summer with little effect on my discus, but only 25%-30% in winter when the ground water is colder and gasses are more compressed.

Didn’t know about the seasonal gases , London’s water is fairly good well Thames water prover side is .. been meaning to bring home a oh monitor from work and keep on forgetting … I am
    Thinking of hma filter now need to research a bit on its flow and see if I can get a tap installed under the sink( hmmm depending on the landlord ) my dad has previous ro filter was slow when I made salt water so don’t fancy that again and don’t have any reservoir for the water so it has to be a quick fix

It's also good you know what a stunted discus is and how it happens. Good decision and as you acquire more tanks to feed your new addiction then you can start with whatever size you want
    Lol I guess it’s better to have less and have it amazing

Well unfortunately people want to have things without knowing what to do and not to do and I guess part of our human nature wanting to experience things ourselves 🙈… I have been reading a lot about discus still a lot more to learn and thanks to you and everyone on this lovely forum with all the info to go through

Didn’t know about the seasonal gases , London’s water is fairly good well Thames water prover side is .. been meaning to bring home a oh monitor from work and keep on forgetting … I am
    Thinking of hma filter now need to research a bit on its flow and see if I can get a tap installed under the sink( hmmm depending on the landlord ) my dad has previous ro filter was slow when I made salt water so don’t fancy that again and don’t have any reservoir for the water so it has to be a quick fix

Do you think this thread needs to moved to “our tank journal”?

Question on discus

Which is more blue or becomes darker blue in Stendker discus strains

Blue diamond or Cobalt ? It’s hard to find an actual adult picture of them as there is so many variations in pictures

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast