ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from across the Pond - Need all the advise possible

Default Re: Hello from across the Pond - Need all the advise possible

I don't know Emperial gallons and I'm to lazy to translate your tank and sump mesurements into feet and inches. I can tell you that if I were a Discus newbie like you and you had a tank that holds 100 US gallons I would start with 6 adults. If all goes well with them you could add another two without QT. Only if you buy both from a Stendker distributor.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Hey Liz he’s looking at close to 200US gal. And a 75g sump. Big tank! With a large sump. Think he could get a lot more adult discus.
    Caspian nice set up. I’d say the cobalts will get darker and diamonds tend to be aggressive. From Stenker I’ve got there flachen snakeskins. They too are a darker blue.

he can easily add more fish than I thought. I'd still start with fewer fish because it will still take large WC until the sponges get cycled for that number of fish. Since he is buying Stendkers he can add more little by little as the cycle gets established.

A tank of that size with 20 adult Discus will make a huge statement.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Caspian View Post
    Do you think this thread needs to moved to “our tank journal”?
    We can move it if you wish. Tank journals are for long continuous builds and such. If you want to keep this thread going we can certainly move it there...

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I don't know Emperial gallons and I'm to lazy to translate your tank and sump mesurements into feet and inches. I can tell you that if I were a Discus newbie like you and you had a tank that holds 100 US gallons I would start with 6 adults. If all goes well with them you could add another two without QT. Only if you buy both from a Stendker distributor.
    I understand to be honest I would not want to loose any fish whatsoever , is not just the costs but also loosing a pet that I am considering so yes my initial Idea was around the same figure , thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Hey Liz he’s looking at close to 200US gal. And a 75g sump. Big tank! With a large sump. Think he could get a lot more adult discus.
    Caspian nice set up. I’d say the cobalts will get darker and diamonds tend to be aggressive. From Stenker I’ve got there flachen snakeskins. They too are a darker blue.

Hi Tom

Thank you lets see how it will all progress as theory is far away from practical sometimes. I did not think of more as I had 10 12 in my mind so its even more cool knowing this however I must outlay the costs of upkeep I mean more fish more food and more work.

What an amazing comment on the blue thank you, then I know I will have 1 or 2 cobalts , flachen snakeskins is also nice but all i searched on google I found them to be more turquoise with lovely patterns but not blue?!

Any other comments on others strains also welcomed

This is the volume without any decode or substrate and considering the water line both in tank and in sump

Main Tank

UK Gallons 171.58

US Gallons 206.08

Litres 780

Sump

UK Gallons 36.96

US Gallons 44.39

Litres 168

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    he can easily add more fish than I thought. I'd still start with fewer fish because it will still take large WC until the sponges get cycled for that number of fish. Since he is buying Stendkers he can add more little by little as the cycle gets established.

A tank of that size with 20 adult Discus will make a huge statement.
    WOW 20! How awesome .. yes it would be an awesome view for sure but you are so right the filters must cycle first which would take a while and I still need to learn about Discus and how they behave with training my eye to see issues which would take a while... However can't make my mind up on colours as they all look just so beautiful but I really do not want to have a full rainbow!

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    We can move it if you wish. Tank journals are for long continuous builds and such. If you want to keep this thread going we can certainly move it there...

Brian if you all lovely people keep on commenting like you have been on this thread then yes off course I would like it moved and continue the journey on here . I would love to use all the experience and knowledge everyone have on this forum to be able to setup and most importantly to be able to care for this amazing fishes as best as possible.

I know the easiest and most convenient way is to have a bare bottom tank however I wanted a planted tank (aquascape)with discus so here is the compromise I am thinking to have 1/2 inch of sand on the bottom to avoid build up of bacteria and gases and then have bogwood which would enable me to have plants on it like picture below, currently I have purchased two pieces plus the stones around it and how I planned the design with a bit more plant but now thinking to add more wood.

PHOTO-2021-12-02-21-50-50 2.jpg

The plants I will use which will give list later will not require CO2 , I understand CO2 can suffocate discus or deprive the fish of oxygen so no CO2 in my design process as yet .

Wood I have purchased is Boogwood and I am thinking of purchasing another large piece of Mopani wood.

What do you guys think?

with cycling I am planning to do fishless cycle with Dr Tims Ammonium Chloride

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401947295...3ABFBM7ruJmLVf

Lighting have not decided yet , have been looking at Twistar but after researching it seems the Chines do the the same so i am leaning more towards Chihiros WRGB 2

Where I got my inspiration from was from one of my favourite setups

Here is the link hope you guys enjoy as much I have done and can't stop watching it every so often

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmkQdqeXmQs

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Caspian, a few considerations for sumps. Plan on how you will get it into and out of the stand. Also ensure there is enough space between the bottom of the stand and the top of the sump so you can get into and out of the sump for working purposes. Since you are working with about 200 gallons of water I would suggest about 12 discus. I had 12 wilds in my 230 gallon but I do like to give wilds plenty of space.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

Ok your idea are good. Yes you can have a semi planted tank with shallow substrate. I’m am doing that now. I put my plants in planters. Makes them easy to remove if meds are needed. As to lighting something I’m using is the hyggar 957 led lights. Not to expensive and fully programable. Thing with your tank is the size. It’s an odd size. Will be very hard to find one light to cover so you will need 2. For 2 you’ll need a brace in the middle. I think your leant is around 78” so probably need 2 36” lights.
    Your sump is only 40g? Is that 40g of water in a 75g tank? Or a 40g tank as the sump?
    For your gravel/sand substrate black will show your discus darker and may pepper pigeon bloods. White will be brighter. Next sand is hard to clean where a fine gravel will be easier. When vacuuming less gravel than sand will be lost.

Here’s some pics of my flachen snakeskins and one of my tanks.0211CF21-11C6-4D0E-95C9-492AA3578B51.jpegF14F70CB-140F-439C-9EF9-EE765BAA42BE.jpg397F5963-B851-4E65-9D1F-59D4CCF1F7FB.jpeg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast