ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sick discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Prashant

Default sick discus

one of my new discus is very sick. This is a new discus @5" , I have recently bought from a local breeder. I quarantined this new discus for two weeks and medicated it. It expelled a lot of tapeworms. Apart from that it was all good and eating. I then introduced it after that period of 2-week quarantine into the main tank which has three other adult discus in it. They all have been happy and healthy. For the first 2 weeks, the new fish was acclimating to new tank mates and was doing generally fine and after three days was even feeding everything. There was some bullying by existing fish but nothing major. Then suddenly one day after 2 weeks of introduction to the new tank , I noticed this guy hiding most of the day or pacing along the side of the tank. The next day I was drawn to the tank by loud trashing sound from the aquarium. And I was horrified to see this guy darting all over the tank and bumping into the walls several times. This lasted for 15 secs and then he was ok. This continued for 3 days. Several episodes of this crazy behavior , every day. Feeding also stopped to a few nibbles here and there. It almost seemed like he was trying to get rid of some parasite from his gills. I completed 2 weeks of prazipro in the quarantine tank. So then medicated with concentrated prazipro and kana plex water with a syringe. I sprayed over his gills and then force-fed him some of the liquid. That solved the issue for a week but now it has started again. Not sure what is happening and what else can I try. I have some videos of the episodes. Unfortunately by the time I was able to start recording the violent ness of the episode was over.

Default Re: sick discus

I hate to have to tell you this but...This is called whirling disease. Nobody knows where is comes from but it is not curable. Sorry.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Prashant

whirling disease sounds like a perfect description . is it bacterial ? it seems to do well when i do a forced feeding of kanaplex for couple days.

Could be but I don't think so. I think it's due to something in the brain like seizures or a tumor cause that's how the fish acts. I don't know though. Nobody knows what causes it. If you are think you are making headway with the kanaplex keep it up.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

I would place it back in QT and see how it reacts. Keep temp around 82 and add 3 TBS salt per 10g and keep the water quality crystal clear with regular water changes. If it calms down then you know it's environmental.

There is someone who was going through whirling disease and seems to have had some success. It's a pretty radicle treatment so I'll see if I can find the details and wait to share it after it's confirmed by you.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Prashant

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I would place it back in QT and see how it reacts. Keep temp around 82 and add 3 TBS salt per 10g and keep the water quality crystal clear with regular water changes. If it calms down then you know it's environmental.

There is someone who was going through whirling disease and seems to have had some success. It's a pretty radicle treatment so I'll see if I can find the details and wait to share it after it's confirmed by you.
    hey Brian, I have thought of doing it , but I dont have space for another tank in the living room. and putting qt tank in basement means I wont be able to notice the whirling episodes. right now someone is always around or in the Living room to notice this episode of whirling happen. Right now he’s doing it one or two times a day mostly in the evening and I’m sure he’s doing it at night when nobody’s around because I did notice the air stone fallen down disconnected from the air hose in the morning.
    I am willing to try any treatment if that can save him.

Real Name
    Mervin

Here is sometime on whirling disease. I've had this and it's heart breaking to watch fish die one by one. I was Qt 4 new discus and they all got it within a week of arrival. It does look like seizers/neurological disorder. But then again it might not be whirling disease. https://www.aquarium-pond-answers.co...erebralis.html

Real Name
    Steve

Good link Mervin. I was aware Myxobolus caused whirling disease in salmon, but this is the first reference I've seen of it being mentioned as a cause for whirling disease in SA cichlids in aquarium environments.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Prashant

small update: after one more force feeding of medication of kanaplex and metro I havent witnessed another instance of whirling. But it is pretty much spending all the time hiding in one spot. Not feeding much.
    I am still trying to get hands on naladin mentioned in the previous link shared by Mervin.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Prashant

I am very happy to report that the discus is doing great for the last 2 months now. From almost seeming sure death to thriving is amazing to see. The discus has put on some decent amount of weight and is very active and feisty. The higher dose force-feeding of regular medicines worked. Just Kanaplex and Metro, I did not use any special medicine.

I'm delighted for you. I was not aware of any way to treat and cure this. You worked hard. Congratulations on your success.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quick question?
    Has the fish been reintroduced to the tank with the mature, healthy fish?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Prashant

Actually, I never removed the fish from the main tank. Having the fish in a separate quarantine tank in a different room would have posed a challenge of observing the fish behavior. This was important because the fish was doing fine, except a few minutes before , during and after the episode of crazy whirling. So I took the risk of treating the fish in the main tank, which is in the room I spend 90% of my waking time. And since I was administering the medicine directly to the affected fish it was an ok risk to take.
    I am positive this was a case of some parasite that was affecting its nervous system as people have said. I got lucky with the meds and my method of treatment. I hope it works for others too.
    Last edited by psuryava81; 02-16-2022 at 03:54 PM.

Real Name
    Francis

What is the dosage of Kanaplex and metronidazole using syringe/dropper to force feed the discus ?

Quote Originally Posted by psuryava81 View Post
    small update: after one more force feeding of medication of kanaplex and metro I havent witnessed another instance of whirling. But it is pretty much spending all the time hiding in one spot. Not feeding much.
    I am still trying to get hands on naladin mentioned in the previous link shared by Mervin.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Prashant

hi , the dosage was not measured. i would take just one syringe worth of aquarium water in a small cup and add just add a small pinch of each and mix well. u can start with even smaller quantity of meds , since it will take multiple treatments spaced a couple days apart.load the mix water in the syringe and then place the discus on wet cloth. Gently put the nozzle end as deep as it will go and gently squeeze until all of it is in. a lot of it will just spill out off the gills but enough will get in their stomach. good luck
    Last edited by psuryava81; 02-20-2022 at 01:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast