ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus missing food

Registered Member

Default Discus missing food

I have 4 discus currently and they are doing well. I’m feeding them beef heart and have started mixing in a flake food and Vibra Bites. Problem is, one of the discus seems to miss when trying to eat. He’ll follow the food and try to bite it but misses a lot. I try to spot feed him, but still misses the target. I don’t see any cloudiness in his eyes and he definitely reacts as I walk up to the tank, so I don’t think there’s a significant vision issue. Anyone ever experience this? Any tips?

Default Re: Discus missing food

Nearsightedness is not uncommon in Discus. The best breeders and distributors try to spot it early and cull the fish. Just feed a lot and it will find the food as it picks around on the bottom.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Some of the high body type of Discus have this problem they keep missing the food or it could be a nerve problem similar to 6 nerve
    pasy in human.

Registered Member

My large ring leopard had this problem. I hand fed him for a while (partly just because it was fun) and as he'd snap at the food I'd shift it downward into his path. Eventually I just left a few pieces of beef heart mix larger and he'd eat it no worries. It's almost like he outgrew the problem and now it's no longer an issue