ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Been a while, first tank in multiple years

Default Re: Been a while, first tank in multiple years

Shame about the Rainbow's jumping. They looked like gems in that planted tank.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Matt, great looking tanks and please pics as the shrimp tank grows in. ATM I do not have any fish but I decided to try something I have never done, a terrarium for dart frogs. Its a BIG learning curve since I do not really "do" plants. But I'm loving the learning curve. I am sure aquarium plants are a similar learning curve to be successful.
    Pat
    Thanks Pat, will for sure update. I saw the terrarium, love it! I will do one someday for sure. I started my emersed growing setup for fun, some extra funds on the side, but most of all it provides me a seedbank of sorts so that I can always have replacement plants if something should happen. There is something very satisfying seeing plants grow under your care knowing you have at least some sort of greenthumb.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hey Matt,
    Love the tank! Looks great. Can you share a bit more on the set up, Lighting, lighting, ferts and plants? Making me want to update my potted plant tank now.
    Thank you! Light is provided by Twinstar 600A and a Chihiros WRGB II 60. I started with 1 and quickly realized that where my tank was on a shelving unit and with my driftwood sticking above the waterline I would not be able to put the light evenly in the middle, so I'm running 2, front and back, typically run them on a program where when the back light is fading the front light turns on much like a sun across the sky. However I do this more to not just have tons of light bearing down all day rather than really follow a sun pattern. One of these lights would be plenty for the tank by itself. I really like the color on the Twinstar but I like the control more on the Chihiros. Both are nice. To be honest I haven't dosed ferts in quite some time, the tank hasn't really told me it needs it. Might be a little short on Iron looking at the Anubias leaves and get a couple yellow leaves here or there but nothing crazy seems lacking and I could never seem to get a good dose down, i feel like that will be future learnings. So right now it just relies on water changes. I do run pressurized CO2 which is the main culprit responsible for the constant explosion of growth. The tank NEEDS a really heavy trim. Plant list is below:

Anubias Nana
    Anubias Nana 'Petite'
    Staurogyne Repens
    Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'
    Weeping Moss
    Rotala Rotundifolia
    Bucephalandra 'Brownie Blue'
    Bucephalandra 'Melawi Blue'
    Bucephalandra 'Brownie Firebird'
    Bucephalandra Arrogant Blue
    Pearl Weed
    Java Fern

Some plants listed may not be shown in that photo. I really like the Bucephalandra, though I do wish I knew which I placed where because I probably couldn't tell you the variety if you pointed to it in the tank. Really cool plants, I could see a tank of just Buce. I have a good bit of it growing out emersed as well and it has done very well in the tank and out. The purples, pinks, reds, blues, and the sparkles you can get on Buce especially some of the brownie varieties is insane. They really shine top down. These are not great photos I apologize, sometime I'll have to break out the good camera, but to give you an idea of color...Pretty sure these are my 'Brownie Firebird', photos taken just now.
    Buce1.jpg
    Buce2.jpg
    Buce3.jpg
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Wonderful stuff!
    Not all emerged growth melts. I think what you list basically doesn't melt (java fern, bucc, and anubias). Or at least doesn't melt as bad as most everything else.
    Thanks! Yeah haven't experienced much melt at all transferring those, though I try to keep the emersed setup very wet which I think may help. The S Repens I've struggled with a bit as well as the Monte Carlo.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Shame about the Rainbow's jumping. They looked like gems in that planted tank.
    It is Liz, the tank provides challenges keeping the top closed. My driftwood sticks up above the water line so there is no real lid short of something custom that I can really keep on it. I don't like when it happens but I accept the risk of having the open top.
    -Matt

Registered Member

Beautiful tank….. can you explain a bit more how are you growing emerged plants? Just simply put them una bin with a lid and always keep the container super humid?

About CO2 injection, I did not see a drop checker. Do you use the 1 degree pH drop method? Or do you aim to an specific ph/kH balance after trails and error?

BTW, in my experience melting is typical of cryotocorin species, not anubias or ferns…. Even when if a crypto was grown submerged, water parameter changes will cause leaves to melt completely. You have to have a lot of patience to wait for new leaves to grow, it takes sometime for the rizhome to adapt to new conditions.

Thx

Real Name
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by For100 View Post
    Beautiful tank….. can you explain a bit more how are you growing emerged plants? Just simply put them una bin with a lid and always keep the container super humid?

About CO2 injection, I did not see a drop checker. Do you use the 1 degree pH drop method? Or do you aim to an specific ph/kH balance after trails and error?

BTW, in my experience melting is typical of cryotocorin species, not anubias or ferns…. Even when if a crypto was grown submerged, water parameter changes will cause leaves to melt completely. You have to have a lot of patience to wait for new leaves to grow, it takes sometime for the rizhome to adapt to new conditions.

Thx
    Thanks. Yeah I bought some Rubbermaid type containers online and use little square black nursery pots for each plant or cutting. I fill them with Hydroton clay pebbles and keep some standing water at the bottom of the Rubbermaid. This is for the Anubias, buce, and Java Ferns. Any stem plants I use basic moist potting soil. I just give them a spray or two daily and keep things humid. Lately I've started trying to grow moss in an actual humidity dome and 1020 tray. I haven't really kept up with my Java Fern box too well so I've had some die off there but first photo is when I first planted some Java ferns. Second is my Anubias/Buce/Stem plant box in April of last year compared to today. Anubias doing incredibly well, Buce too but they are harder to spot now in the box.
    thumbnail_image2.jpg
    thumbnail_image1.jpg
    thumbnail_image0.jpg

As for the CO2, I have a drop checker. In the first photo is back right near the top, second tank photo it's on the top left. I switched to a hang over tank glass one so it's not as visible. I've dialed it in over time, aiming for less to start because I was scared of dumping a cylinder of CO2 into the tank. I have the CO2 on a timer to control how long it runs during the day. I just try and keep it in the green. I have a bubble counter outside the tank as well, but I couldn't tell you off the top of my head what my bps is.
    -Matt

Registered Member

Thanks Matt.

I will give a try to grow some emerge sword, Anubias and fern plants in a closed bin. I can place the bin my greenhouse which would be perfect placement for light and humidity.

I asked about the drop checker because I walked away from it a while back. I started using 1 degree pH drop method.
    Here is a good reading about planted tanks…. These guys have a solid reputation and their own tanks are beautiful

https://www.2hraquarist.com/blogs/choosing-co2-why

Registered Member

On a separate note, where did you buy the Bucephalandra? It is hard to find here in Austin. If you have some clips that you would like to sell & ship, I am first in line.

Real Name
    Matt

New inhabitants and a new venture for myself arrived for the desk tank. 20 Pure Red Line Caridina shrimp, so far they are doing excellent. Tank just needs to grow in now.
    thumbnail_image4.jpg
    thumbnail_image3.jpg
    thumbnail_image2 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_image0 (1).jpg
    Last edited by Discus-n00b; 03-15-2024 at 11:23 PM.
    -Matt

Real Name
    Matt

Few better shrimp photos from the small desk nano tank. This is my first foray into Caridina shrimp, these are so much fun to watch, very active.
    Pure Red Line Caridina Shrimp by Matt, on Flickr
    -Matt

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Very cool Matt and nice macro images of these beautiful little guys. Is that food underneath some of them?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-n00b View Post
    Few better shrimp photos from the small desk nano tank. This is my first foray into Caridina shrimp, these are so much fun to watch, very active.
    Really Nice looking critters and Images! These are some sweet looking inverts!
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Matt

Here is a quick phone shot of the tank as of today. Waiting for some spots to fill back out, did a heavy trim on some stuff recently. A little dirty but everything doing well. Trying to fill some foreground back out. The Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan' on the right is quickly becoming one of my favorite plants. Also have a bunch of houseplants (various Pothos, Philodendron, and Scantia) that will hopefully cover the rack around the tank all doing great. The fern came naturally on the driftwood after leaving it outside during my hiatus, and even through cleaning it prior to the tank the ferns still sprouted.

thumbnail_image0 (2).jpg

And just because I love it so much, my Philodendron 'Painted Lady' is doing super well and has great colors. Going to eventually get a cutting of this rooting in a tank and see how it does.
    thumbnail_image0 (3).jpg
    -Matt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123