AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who wins here - Me or hubby?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Default Who wins here - Me or hubby?

I have a 160 gallon tank that I’m getting going for my first adventure with discus since ……. Well, a LONG time. Hubby wants 2 wet/drys underneath and I would prefer one. He has 2 - 55 gallon tanks set up as filters under his 330 gallon African cichlid tank.

I already have 2 smaller sized wet/ drys that we can use. One is 24 x 10 and the other is 28 x 10. The return pump for one is around 1000-1200? If hubby can remember correctly. We have other pumps but have no real idea of their specs.

I will have 6 or 7 four inch discus. That’s it. Planning on two, maybe three water changes per week of 50 gallons each - aged water. Two large sponge filters will be in tank too.

What do you all think? One filter or two?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Default Re: Who wins here - Me or hubby?

Is the 160 a 6' long tank? Two may be better for more even flow in the tank. Probably not necessary for filtration but if one filter dies it's nice to have a backup. Plus a a man i have to side with your husband.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Yes, it is a 6 ft long tank. My husband fell asleep during “The Fugitive” movie but watched and liked “12 Dresses” so I’m not sure he is a man.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Dam, that's harsh.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Lol. Actually my husband is wonderful and we love to pick on each other. I used to own a small pet shop and that’s how we met. He was really into fish and so was I. Twenty six years later and we STILL have aquariums. Just much larger ones.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

I love big tanks. Used to have a 240 gal saltwater, 150 gal fresh and 130 gal indoor pond. Superstorm Sandy wiped me out and now i'm in a different house and down to a 55 gal freshwater tank. ITS TOO SMALL. Someday.

Real Name
    Tom

Harsh and funny!!!

I’m thinking 1 wet/dry moving 1000+gph and a backup filter. I use on my 125 an odyssea 350. For that size tank with that few discus your not going to need more. 2 water changes a week should also be fine. Bigger amount of water and less waste needs less water changes. I use an aqua link 150 w/d on mine.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tikitank View Post
    Yes, it is a 6 ft long tank. My husband fell asleep during “The Fugitive” movie but watched and liked “12 Dresses” so I’m not sure he is a man.
    The wife is always the winner and tell your husband to check out some of those Korean Drama.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

I like smaller fish tanks.

Dying laughing at this thread. How did I miss this earlier.

"No", the wife is not always right... it's just hard as hell to "...convince her when she's wrong... which is a often... but successful convincing is not... especially when that involves a B.S., but highly effective 'withholding technique'... damn't"

My vote: 1 (yes... I know... I'm agreeing with the wife... but don't tell MY wife!). I like Tom's response
    -Elliot

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Kathy, sounds like you and hubby have a great relationship. I would opt for one sump (vs two) in the name of KISS. I drove my 230 on a smallest wet/dry which came with the tank and that worked fine.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Hubby won and now I have 2 sumps and a leak in the plumbing. After work he’s going to fix it….. I hope. My ammonia & bacteria is on the way for fishless cycling, which I have never tried. Because hubby went to World Wide Corals last Sunday and spent over $2K on a tank, I may get an extra discus or two out of that deal! Lol

LMAO!!!!!!! Sorry, I know I'm 7 days late to respond, but laughing because that's what usually happens to me :P

Weird thing is, YOU (the wife) lost. I lose all the time... then "she" learns the hard way (which I am now used to fixing foreseen ... and I have to do so without verbally nor non verbally hinting "I told you so").
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

hilarious thread. I fall asleep to every movie... Even though the tank isn't stocked yet, please post some pics of the tank and sump!

Quote Originally Posted by mleibowi View Post
    hilarious thread. I fall asleep to every movie... Even though the tank isn't stocked yet, please post some pics of the tank and sump!
    +2... whip out some pics! :P
    -Elliot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast