AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Black fins after 10 days

Registered Member

Exclamation Black fins after 10 days

Details on setup in the previous thread I posted: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...nners-question

After a week long hunger strike when I got them home, the discus have gradually began eating like little pigs... but now I'm starting to see some black fins on them. Just did a ~70% water change yesterday and today notice the fins had got quite dark on them. No ammonia or nitrite and of course I'm freshly out of Nitrate regent. Would it be best to assume this is stress? I'd hope to not have to medicate if not necessary. Can add more pics if needed.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Black fins after 10 days

It looks like peppering. Quite common with PB's in a dark planted tank. Breeders have been trying to breed this out over the years. Put them in a light background, take out the plants and anything dark and it will fade.

Real Name
    Tom

Yes it could be peppering is maybe even coloring up. Those yellows may also turn orange. Here 2 of mine FFF939EB-1E43-4654-A7BD-B085BD83CA25.jpeg825F27CB-5EC6-46B1-972A-7D7DEE777E05.jpeg. It coloring up that’s good means they’ve adjusted to your tank.

Registered Member

Well that's a relief! Google had me thinking they had a bacterial infections of some sorts.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Francis

Pigeon bloods discus. The amount of peppering depends on many factors, genetics,including color of the tank background and substrate. But as you may know, over the years much of the tendency to pepper has been bred out of pigeon bloods. So it also depends on genetics and the breeders quality control.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

My Marlboros when they are exited and playing the Britten up and the black shows up and a couple of hours later it will be gone. The first picture the lighting exaggerated the color a bit but they do get bright.

20220223_211118.jpg

20220117_161224.jpg
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 06-15-2022 at 11:16 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th