AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New dithers

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default New dithers

I know there is a sticky quarantining process for adding new discus to a sound cross-contamination of new bacterial flora, viruses etc… does the same appt to adding a pleco, or corys or tetras? I feel like the balance in my tank is pretty good and would hate to add a new pathogen that could make my discus sick. The flip side is a large school of tetras would look nice in the tank (;

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: New dithers

Cross contamination can happen when you mix any aquatic living things from different sources (even water) into the same tank. It can be fish, shrimp, snails, plants or sponges etc. The point of having a quarantine tank is not having anything from an existing tank due to cross contamination.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Tom

Yes qt everything!! I do this for everything in all my tanks. Yes it’s great to stop cross contamination but it’s also good for any new fish. New fish come to you stressed. Adding to a new tank with new tank mates is just adding to the stress. Do to this stress they get sick and in turn bring sickness to your established tank. At least a month for best results.

This is not the party line but with Asian Discus we need to be careful with QT because Discus from different farm sometimes carry a Discus viral Disease. I don't worry about mixing tank mates of different types as long as they are compatable tank mates for Discus. But if you are smart you will QT the new fish and introduce the sacrificial lamb after 3 weeks and the whole 9 yards.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Alright thanks all. Opted not to get the fish as I don’t want to introduce new pathogens. It’s frustrating aspect of keeping discus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by mleibowi View Post
    Alright thanks all. Opted not to get the fish as I don’t want to introduce new pathogens. It’s frustrating aspect of keeping discus.
    It can be frustrating, but main thing is just be precautious. A quarantine tank is a good investment. Nothing more than a sponge filter and heater is needed. Get like a 20 gallon, get it cycled, buy some tank mates and let them chill there for a month. I keep mine in my garage. Anytime you get a sick or injured fish, now you have a hospital tank as well.

Good luck!