ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Cull?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Cull?

My discus have been sick and and I dewormed and treated with metronidazole. All have improved except one that continue to have white tube like poop. He is wafer thin, still not eating, stunted and poorly shaped. I’m concerned that he will continue to make my other discus sick? I’m debating culling him. What do others think?

Default Re: Cull?

I'd cull him if he were mine.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

I've had to cull in the past and this was the exact reasoning. Once you have already treated the tank and others are thriving and one just isn't, it's likely not just going to start turning it around one day. There is potential as well with more white poop to infect the others. If you were really against culling, take the single one out and treat in a med tank if you know there are no more issues in the current tank and just treat in the smaller med tank. Saves on medication anyways and allows the fish to not have to compete for food. The only problem with this, is they are typically already stressed while fighting through the disease that moving them to another tank will likely cause a quick death. These are my two experiences anyways. I tried to not cull the first time, and then culled the second time. Good luck with the rest of the fish. Keep them healthy!

Sorry for your loss.

Phil

ETA: I'm also assuming here that you have already performed the full treatment for metro and not just a few days worth.

Real Name
    Francis

Without a photo or video , not sure if it’s worth culling or not.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I culled. Yes I did 12 days of metro and dewormed twice with flubendazole. Thanks all.