AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Amount of frozen

Registered Member

Default Amount of frozen

I have 10 discus ranging from 3 1/2 - 5 1/2 inches in size. I never know if I am feeding too much, not enough or fine. I use san francisco bay frozen cubes. In the morning I feed 1 beefheart cube, 1 brine shrimp cube and 2 bloodworm cubes with a pinch of pellets. Late afternoon the same amount of frozen but no pellets. Evening they get1 beefheart cube, 1 brine shrimp cube, 1 bloodworm cube and a pinch of pellets. They eat like little pigs of course. Does this sound reasonable?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Default Re: Amount of frozen

When it comes to feeding, the main thing is that they are all eating, all the food is being eaten in a timely manner, and water quality is not being hindered.

If they are all eating, they are happy and hungry. If they are not all eating, then you may have issues (like differing size discus leading to aggression, or poor water quality, or even disease) even though you have diversified the food options.

If the food is all being eaten in a timely manner, it's either not enough or just right. You can tweak it and see what works best. If there's leftovers, then try cutting back to reduce the bioload on the tank and less clean up you have to do after feedings.

Remember, you can feed more than 3 times a day. If you find this is the right amount of food, you could take some from the morning meal and the evening meal and add it to the 4th meal as a bedtime snack. For example, 1 blood worm cube from the morning and 1 pinch of pellets from the evening as the late night snack before you go to bed.

Good luck and enjoy your fish!

Default Re: Amount of frozen

You could replace the beefheart cubes with Freeze Dried Black worms sold by Aquatic Suppliers. Al Sebetta ,genius who says these are very high in protein and can replace beefheart. I used FDBW in place of beefheart for 5 years and my blue face heckels grew large and thrived on them before I sold them.