ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Quantine advice - 1 lonely existing fish

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

Default Quarantine advice - 1 lonely existing fish

Hi all,
    First, I'll start by admitting I made a big mistake, I had 5 lovely discuss in a 50gallon, but had added the most recent from a shop I hadn't bought from before. I quarantined him for 4 weeks and he appeared fine, so in he went. Now I have 1 lonely discus in my 50gallon (not him).
    I want to step up my game and have learned a lot, so I set up a 130gallon. It's been running over a month, has some albino BN plecos, corys and black neon tetras.
    I want to add 12 young adult discus and have a nice show tank, but I feel awful for my lonely discus.
    What should I do as far as quarantining, should I even try to mix stock? NOTE: I am in Canada, so any suggestions of "oh just throw a thousand medicines at them" isn't helpful nor appreciated, we can't get that without prescriptions from a vet.
    Option 1: move original discus to display tank now. Put new discus in original tank, quarantine and get them happy, healthy and eating. Move 1 new discus to display tank, observe. Move all discus to display tank.
    Option 2: quarantine new discus separately, get them happy healthy and eating. Move all but 1 to display tank. Move 1 to original tank with lonely discus, observe.
    Option 3: (less preferred) Try to rehome original discus. Quarantine new discus properly and hope lonely discus has a good home somewhere else.
    Thoughts and advice appreciated, the new fishies are still 3-4 weeks away (Stendker from Discus Paradise Montreal).
    Thanks,
    Last edited by Rudie; 12-31-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Default Re: Quarantine advice - 1 lonely existing fish

I hope you buy the rest of your Discus from a trusted sponsor or from Hans. When you get the new batch put them in the 130. Wait 3 weeks to make sure they're doing well. If they are will, move your least favorite of the new fish in with the fish in QT. Wait another 3 weeks and if your neither fish gets sick from the other they are good to mix together.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Quantine advice - 1 lonely existing fish

Not sure how many sponsors ship to Canada. If you can get it have rid-ich plus on hand and salt. How big will the new ones be? How big is the surviver?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Evan

Default Re: Quantine advice - 1 lonely existing fish

Thanks Liz and Iminit.
    Yeah, that makes sense, not much point in an extra step for the new discus, I'll put them in the show tank. I know the tank is doing well as my plecos just spawned - happy about that, got the eggs out and will be able to raise and sell the fry.
    I believe Discus Paradise are reputable sellers for Hans. I've ordered discus in the 2.5" size. My lonely discus is 4" or so. She is definitely stunted, I've had her almost 2 years and bought her juvenile. She's been through hell with hospital tanks and medication.
    I have Nox-ich and Fenbendizole on hand - I know it's more awkward than other de-wormers, but in Canada we're limited in what we can get without prescription.