ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 3 Discus fish left

Registered Member

Default 3 Discus fish left

Hello all! Hope you’re all staying safe and strong during this pandemic times!
    I wanted to ask - after accident with overdose of KH buffer my 3 fishes died… They were really large and well grown for almost 3 years! Hope they are eating shrimps and swimming happily in heaven!
    Now there are 3 large (about 18cm) fish left in tank, doing all well - 2 males and one female, the males fight ocasionally but never too bad. I can only buy more discus in about 3-4 months as I heard I can’t mix small fish with large fish and these 16-18cm fish costs around 250€… I know discus shouldn’t be kept in smaller groups than 5-6 fish. Will my 3 discus be okey for those 3-4 months?

Thank You in advance!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Default Re: 3 Discus fish left

In my experience, yes, they'll be okay. Should any of the three become aggressive, you will want to have decor that can break the line of sight to disperse the aggression. For the new fish, you'll definitely want to get the same, or near the same, size of the current fish. I'd also recommend doing a thorough quarantine for the new incoming fish to be sure you have no issues when adding to the main tank.

Good luck and take care!

Phil

Registered Member

Thank You Phil for your answer, I have a lot of driftwood in tank and some rocks so one couple stays at one side and the male just in the other end. I have 500 litre tank so it’s pretty long. They are fighting just when the food is given and they come to the center of the tank to eat. I will save some money and buy 3-5 more fish about the same size as mine!
    Last edited by Raimisx9; 01-05-2022 at 04:24 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Quote Originally Posted by Raimisx9 View Post
    Thank You Phil for your answer, I have a lot of driftwood in tank and some rocks so one couple stays at one side and the male just in the other end. I have 500 litre tank so it’s pretty long. They are fighting just when the food is given and they come to the center of the tank to eat. I will save some money and buy 3-5 more fish about the same size as mine!
    Hopefully they wont grow too big before you are able to buy more, or it could get really expensive