AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Microbubbles

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Microbubbles

What is the harm of microbubbles? When I fill my tank with my python I always see microbubbles. I don’t think it effects the fish.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Default Re: Microbubbles

I have seen some folks that are concerned in re visible microbubbles that show up with high turbulence states, like when adding water with a python. If that has any proven negative effect other than cosmetic I am unaware. The other definition of microbubbles is when gasses come out of solution inside of the microvasculature of the fish and can often be seen in the arterioles on the tail and pectoral fins. Depending on the size of the bubble it can cause significant ischemic tissue damage. This is caused due to supersaturation of a gas, often CO2 that then off-gasses if you store your water in the storage container or occasionally in your fish if you do not. Also remember that the partial pressure of a gas in solution increases with increasing temperature, meaning all gasses (primarily O2 N2, and CO2) that are dissolved in a liquid will come out of solution as the liquid warms, pressure also increases the saturation point of a dissolved gas. If your pH increases with storage that is a good indicator that you have some CO2 coming out of solution. https://fishhistopathology.com/home/...ubble-disease/

Registered Member

The biggest issue I've seen with it is that the bubbles stick to the fish and they shed their slime coat in the process. It seems to make them very uncomfortable.

Real Name
    Brian

Depending on the content of compressed gasses, the effect can be mild or even lethal. A high concentration of nitrogen can cause gas bubble disease as mentioned above, where expanding nitrogen can actually cause bubbles to form inside the fish. Think of the bends in scuba diving.

Co2 can change ph drastically, not only in the water, but if enough compressed co2 enters through the gills, it can affect the ph in the blood stream as well.

Seasonal changes can affect the concentration of compressed gasses. In warmer weather, I can do a 40% water change from tap without much effect on my discus. In winter I can only do 25%

Aging water can eliminate this problem, as can smaller water changes. Some people don't have these issues while many others do. Everyone's water is different...

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I appreciate the responses. I will keep on keeping on. I’ve read on the forum about peoples concerns, and aside from CO2 and associated pH changed I haven’t heard a scientific basis for any other concerns. I appreciate it.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by mleibowi View Post
    I appreciate the responses. I will keep on keeping on. I’ve read on the forum about peoples concerns, and aside from CO2 and associated pH changed I haven’t heard a scientific basis for any other concerns. I appreciate it.
    Hi mleibowi, if the fish seem unhappy after a water change aging is an option. For me my ph changes from 7.4 to 8.2 when aging with aeration so I age my water. You can measure this yourself in a small container.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mervin

For me in order to do large WC's I need to age my water. I get micro-bubbles in all seasons and it irritates the fish to the point it caused stress; I would say more so than a PH sing. The fish are much happier now and don't even notice an 80% or higher WC at all. I started aging when I joined this forum and started doing large WC's; large frequent WC's has proven to me the thing to do to keep fish healthier.

Real Name
    Francis

Abstract

Gas bubble disease (GBD), a non-infectious, environmentally/physically induced trauma, is caused by an increase in the dissolved gas pressure above the ambient air pressure (supersaturation). Frequently the cause is an increased partial pressure of nitrogen-especially in spring-/groundwater. All fish species as well as amphibians and aquatic invertebrates are susceptible. Fish species and age groups are different sensitive; swim up fry is very endangered. The disease may occur in a chronic form at approximately 103% and in an acute form at above 110/115% total gas pressure (TGP). Fish, especially fry, with the chronic form die slowly without symptoms. The clinical symptoms of the acute form are disorientation, subcutaneous emphysema, embolism, exophthalmus mostly only on one side, swimming near the water surface with darkened skin, haemorrhages and high mortality. Losses increase with increased TGP. Generally, mortality in the chronic form increases by secondary infections of emphysematous tissue. As technical processes may be the cause for an increased total gas pressure, such as water pumping, heating water or mixing cold with warm water, in this context we could speak from a "technopathy". The following "therapeutic" measurement is recommended: avoid causal factors, transfer damaged fish in expanded water, turn off the cause, compensate the pressure in deeper water, if possible.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9289892/

https://en.wikivet.net/Gas_Bubble_Disease
    Grasshopper
    Francis