AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tank above crawl space

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Tank above crawl space

I have a 120 gal tank with a 20 gal sump that is above a crawl space. It’s been setup for 6 months and level. The issue is when the kids run by or even the 40lb dog or when I walk by it wobbles a little. It is making me nervous. Has anyone else experienced this and how would one remedy the wobbly/shake issue?

I hate to move the tank as the it’s a great location for water changes amid other locations would be challenging and a lot more water toting.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by mleibowi; 01-13-2022 at 12:37 AM.

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Tank above crawl space

The weight is about the same as an Austin Mini Cooper sitting in that space. I'd be nervous too if it wobbles.

Can you support it from under the crawl space with concrete blocks?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I was looking into this a little, Liz. I think support underneath is possible but I'm not a structural engineer, nor do I build houses. I more risk adverse when it comes to things I don't really understand so if I were to go that route I would probably want to hire an engineer to look at it which I'm sure would be costly.

I'm kind of resigned to the fact that it should be moved. The tank is quite heavy and moving and/or replacing the sump and keeping the beneficial bacteria alive as well as fish has me a bit worried. I may opt to remove the sand substrate and go bare bottom.... The other location gets some sunlight so I'm concerned about algae growth as well. Oh, the joys....

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

I agree with Mama Bear. If it were me, I would get some 4x4's, make a header that spans the joists (maybe an extra one on each side of the tank width, and put some braces on concrete blocks. Bring the brace out a little farther than the depth of the tank. You'll need to use edges to make sure it is tight and actually providing support. This should stabilize the floor and limit the movement.

Robert

A structural engineer shouldn't be necessary. A licensed carpenter could do that job easily. I've done that job on my own before. I took the water level down low to take the weight off the area before I started crawling under the house with concrete blocks and 2x4's.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Quote Originally Posted by mleibowi View Post
    I was looking into this a little, Liz. I think support underneath is possible but I'm not a structural engineer, nor do I build houses. I more risk adverse when it comes to things I don't really understand so if I were to go that route I would probably want to hire an engineer to look at it which I'm sure would be costly.
    Shouldn't really require a "Structural Engineer", just a good DIY plan and some assistance. The floor should be capable of holding the wight, it's mostly an issue of movement. Bracing the floor as I suggested above should provide enough stability to do the trick. Of course, if you are not used to DIY projects like this, you may not want tot do it yourself.

Robert

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Setting up my sump was my idea of a DIY. Who can I hire to do the job? A carpenter or some sort?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

A Carpenter or Home Repair Contractor should be able to do the job. Not sure what it might cost. If you have a good buddy who is handy, you might could go that route.

Robert

If you want the job done right hire a licensed carpenter. There are lots of screw-up's around who call themselves carpenters but they may or may not know what they're doing. I learned this lesson the hard expensive way...
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Floor Support.png

A quick sketch of what you are looking for. If the aquarium sets across several Joists, only one header is needed. If the aquarium sets length wise across the joists, you would want to put one at each end of the aquarium.

Robert

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If you want the job done right hire a licensed carpenter. There are lots of screw-up's around who call themselves carpenters but they may or may not know what they're doing. I learned this lesson the hard expensive way...
    Agreed, if you hire it done, make sure to use a licensed contractor.

Robert

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Thanks guys. Moved to a new state so don't know anyone. I'll look into hiring someone as long as it's not too costly...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaman218 View Post
    Floor Support.png

A quick sketch of what you are looking for. If the aquarium sets across several Joists, only one header is needed. If the aquarium sets length wise across the joists, you would want to put one at each end of the aquarium.
    xact same thing
    Robert
    Robert
    That is exactly what I was going to suggest. I did the exact same thing when I put in my wood stove, only difference was i put in my basement to support the den floor.
    I might add that I used jack and a 2 by 4 to raise the den floor a tiny bit so when i put in the supports and removed the jack those 4 by 4 where locked into place.
    Jay

google around for licensed contractors in your State. There is a web site for that here in Mississippi. I imagine that's true of all States.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast