AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tank above crawl space

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: Tank above crawl space

I found someone to take a look this weekend. Thanks all!

Some older homes used 2x6 for joists but these are less common the norm is from 2x8 to 2x12. Also if they are running in the same direction of the length of the tank you might get a bounce.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 01-13-2022 at 03:30 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

The bounce is real and really terrifying.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Robert
    That is exactly what I was going to suggest. I did the exact same thing when I put in my wood stove, only difference was i put in my basement to support the den floor.
    I might add that I used jack and a 2 by 4 to raise the den floor a tiny bit so when i put in the supports and removed the jack those 4 by 4 where locked into place.
    Jay
    I was going to suggest using a car jack or bottle jack under the header to raise it up just a little, but wasn't sure if I should. With limited knowledge or DIY skills, didn't want him to raise it too much and cause problems.

Robert

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

First of all i would check out the size and direction of the floor joists. Direction is important in that their 16" apart and if they run opposite direction of tank you would have more than enough support for the tank. How deep is the crawl space? Can you get under there? It's really a diy job to add some concrete blocks and adjustable jack posts. Also is the stand anchored to the wall? This may stop the shaking. Floors can support thousands of pounds It's not going to collapse. Edit to add make sure the joists look good [no cracks or warping]. Also check there not compromised by having sections cut out of them [usually done under bathrooms for plumbing runs].
    Last edited by jpm995; 01-13-2022 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mleibowi View Post
    I found someone to take a look this weekend. Thanks all!
    Excellent. It may be a diy project but not if you aren't used to diy. Go with a pro.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    Some older homes used 2x6 for joists but these are less common the norm is from 2x8 to 2x12. Also if they are running in the same direction of the length of the tank you might get a bounce.
    Another thing to consider is if the tanks against an outside wall. Thats on the foundation and will be the strongest part of the house. I want to restate to op the importance of strapping the tank stand to the wall. If children are running around the house and have an accident tanks can tip. IKEA furniture has a policy of including restraining straps on kids furniture for this reason.

Real Name
    Mervin

If you ever need to knew the weight you can use this. https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/...TankWeight.php Or this one. http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Depending on your new situation you could also check with neighbors or co-workers for recommendations. If the estimates are too costly take pictures and the DIYers can give more specific recommendations prior to your deciding to move the tank. I set up 2 150 gal with sumps on either side of my first floor family room sitting on 2 x 12 joists above a full basement perpendicular to the span of the joists. I doubled every joist underneath the tanks as each tank weighs about 1 ton. I also added joist blocking (perpendicular supports) to tie all of the joists together. For fun I filled 1 tank temporarily prior to adding support and the trampoline effect was impressively worrisome. Other than slight ripples that is gone now. Take home is that depending on your construction and crawl space access fixing this could be fairly easy, fairly hard, or nearly impossible. If you can get a contractor to fix at reasonable cost, great. If not, send pictures.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Thanks everyone, will do. Will have someone check it out this weekend and get an estimate. He's done work for me before and is good quality.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12