AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Please help left filter off for 4 days

Registered Member

Default Please help left filter off for 4 days

2w old 30 gal w 2 discus cycled w fritz 7 I left the filter off after my first water change for 3 days (wont make that mistake again) and my nitrite and nitrate levels have spiked. No ammonia. I did a 30% water change and turned the filter back on. Should I do another 30% water change in a couple hours and test again?

Thanks this is my first discus tank.

Default Re: Please help left filter off for 4 days

You're going to have to do way greater WCs for the nitrate and nitrite both Meth Blue will lessen the impact of Nitrite.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

I agree with, Liz. You'll want to do much larger water changes than 30% with nitrites present. Is this a quarantine/breeding/med tank you have set up for them? Or is this a scaped tank? I'd highly recommend getting more Fritz and following the instruction to quickly recycle the tank. Don't think the bacteria in the filter was happy with no water flow for 3 days straight.

Phil

I have my tanks on a KASA WIFI power strips and I have the filter set on a schedule to turn on at 10 PM (past my bed time during the week) so if I forget to turn it back on it will automatically go on. I can check if everything is on or if I have heater failure by checking the wattage draw on that outlet. Besides my InkBird heater controllers are also on WIFI and send notifications. I work all day 15 min away so I can check from my phone and if any problems I can turn on remotely or run home. The only thing is power failure but I could go home and turn on the generator.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 01-17-2022 at 08:27 AM.