ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Dividers

Registered Member

Default Dividers

When u want to divide your aquarium and have two breeding pairs in the same tank can that divider be clear plexas glass or does it have to be something so they cannot see each other

Registered Member

Default Re: Dividers

I once had to divide my community tank due to a pair spawning while on it. Once the fry got attached, the parents went crazy fighting through the glass every time a fish approached the divider on the other side (which happened all the time as my other discus were rather interested in the little moving things, as if they were spotting mosquito larvae). They even ate some of the fry during these rage episodes. My advice: use an opaque divider (that one time I used a dark plastic bag to block sight).

Also, check that water conditions are suitable in both sides of the division, which could be tricky depending on your heating/filtering/lightning setup. If constrained by equipment, using a divider that leaves a gap between the divider and the sides of the tank might help, but you need to loosely fill the gap with foam in order to allow water to circulate while blocking the fry from doing the same.

Hope this helps.

Registered Member

Is there a paint that can be used to paint the divider if u want to use glass

Registered Member

No idea. I wouldn´t use any paint unless extra sure it is non-toxic to fish.

Registered Member

I usually use an egg crate divider. Some breeders have fry swimming between both pairs. I don't like the fry swimming between different strains so what I use are screen replacements, these are for windows and screen doors, just wrap the screen around the egg crate.

Cliff