ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Breeding behavior

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Default Breeding behavior

Looks like I may need to set up a breeding tank. My larger Blue Diamond and a Striated Red Turquoise seem to be pairing up. Their breeding tubes are not showing yet, but they're doing the dance and chasing everyone else to the other side of the tank. I didn't expect this to happen o quickly. It has been a very long time since I have had a mated pair of Discus. I only got these the first week in November. I purchased them at 3"-3.5" and now they are 4" - 4.5". My largest is 5".

My question is, should I go ahead and move them now, or wait until I am sure?

Why I'm asking is: the last time I had mating activity with Discus, My wife was having our first child (I wont tell you how old he is now). The day I drove her to the hospital to deliver, I expected to return home to eggs in my tank. Instead, when I returned home the next day, I found one dead discus and a second one with it's mouth ripped apart. Don't want to go through that again.

Any suggestions?

Robert

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Default Re: Breeding behavior

Pictures of the "Pair".

20220116_081221.jpg

They say to let them spawn for the first time in the community tank in order to increase their protective parenting instincts. Sometimes I just can't wait and give them a love nest right away.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    They say to let them spawn for the first time in the community tank in order to increase their protective parenting instincts. Sometimes I just can't wait and give them a love nest right away.
    Thanks for the reply Liz.

That's what I have done with Angels in the past. I just wasn't sure about the discus, considering my past experience. I don't currently have another tank set up, or a cycled filter. I do have a 20gal, 40gal, 75 gal and at 55 gal in the basement. The plan was to set up a couple tanks in my daughters old room to get ready for this. Waiting will give me a chance to do something back there. Right now it is full of car parts from an MG I am restoring.