ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Stopped laying eggs

Registered Member

Default Stopped laying eggs

I have 2 pairs of discus where the females where laying eggs. They laid almost every 9 days but the males did not seem interested in doing their job. They both laid at least 12 times. I thought that was due to the males not being mature. Now the males are very mature but the females have quit at least 4 months ago from laying their eggs and have not laid any more. Are they finished or how can someone get them to start laying again. Thank u for any info.

Default Re: Stopped laying eggs

Are they eating well and pooping black? Sometimes the females take a break but 4 months is kind of a long time.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

They are in excellent health. Fed we’ll and always in good water. The one pair the male always fertilized the eggs and some fry did hatch. The other pair the male never bothered. They are really large pairs.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    They are in excellent health. Fed we’ll and always in good water. The one pair the male always fertilized the eggs and some fry did hatch. The other pair the male never bothered. They are really large pairs.
    The females are probably off their spawning cycle and need a rest. For me I fine that large pairs are older and their spawning between are longer as compare to younger pairs. May try to skip a couple water changes and do a large water change that may trigger them to spawn.

Cliff