AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Carbon steel pan

Default Carbon steel pan

I bought the thing despite the lady I trust for Asian recipes who said not to. I bought a wok first but after trying and trying the thing was just to heavy for me to be able to good job with. Also, keeping it seasoned was a chore.

I adore the carbon steel pan. It came pre seasoned as did the wok but this is a piece of cake to keep seasoned. It is totally non stick. I can fry an egg it it without it sticking. It's light enough for me to be able to flip food. I have no complaints with it at all. I just regret that I wasted so much money on All Clad stainless steel pans. The carbon steel pan has become my frying pan of choice. It has even almost replaced my need for my cast iron skillet.

Chef, have you ever used carbon steel cookware? Has any other foodie her has tried it?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Carbon steel pan

I have a carbon steel wok; it never sticks and heats fast. But most of my cook ware is stainless steel. And I don't like a stainless steel fry pan; can't get mine seasoned so it's cast iron or a coated no stick fry pan for me.

Real Name
    Francis

Liz…..Bought my All Clad stainless frying pans in 2001 and they lasts forever.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Just had to chime in here, I have used all sorts of pans over many years, and now my very favorite is my cast iron! I have gone back in time pan-wise, haha!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member

I talked to a few Asian restraunt cooks and asked why can't I get the same taste out of
    my wok, the answer was not because of the wok but my BTU is low compare to the restraunts.

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

I have stainless steel cookware, and it's definitely a chore to keep seasoned. Not sure why. I bought a nice expensive set, bought a wok as well. Followed several videos on how to season properly and all but one small frying pan stays seasoned without issue. I've definitely considered gifting the set to a younger brother or something and going with something new. Stainless steel pots have been great, but the frying pans have left me disappointed. Mainly use a nonstick skillet and/or cast iron for cooks.

Phil

I swear by my cast iron skillet - does a fantastic job every time no matter what I fry in it. The carbon steel pan sounds like it's worth a try, though. I'll think about it.

By the way, Liz, just thinking about your previous post regarding doing the killer chicken thighs dish once again, caused me to yearn for it, as I haven't had it for over a month.

Doing it again tonite !!

We had it 2 nights in a row because we both like to eat the same thing twice in a row if it's very good. Next night I made something simple, and last night I made Jambalaya. Prep is time consuming but the way the flavors blend together makes it more that worth it. Tomorrow night deep fried chicken thighs with steamed carrots with maple syrup and dill plus a carb that I'm not sure of yet. I'm having fun cooking a lot. Cooking for one isn't as much fun of cooking for yourself and another person. Seeing a good reaction to what I've made is better that just eating myself. She said that she loves fried rice. I have been making some killer fried rice lately. She needs to decide what protein she wants in it. Shrimp is a good easy go-to for fried rice.
    Mama Bear