AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Salt/Rid-ich treatment and my biological filter

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Default Salt/Rid-ich treatment and my biological filter

Just brought home my first discus in over 20 years and after 3 days the fun has begun! 150 gallon tank with 3 four inch discus. Only brought 3 home to make sure they would live in my water and planned to get the rest tomorrow - from the same source.

150 gallon tank and on the third day ( this morning) did the first 100 gal WC. One of the fish has whitish on one side.

We also have a 300 gal African cichlid tank nearby and although I have been careful, I’ll assume it’s cross contamination. Lowering temp from 85 to 82 and gathering my salt and Rid-Ich according to everything I’ve read on Simply.

Question - am I on the right track? And will that treatment kill all my new beneficial bacteria?

Will attempt to get a photo. Now I know why he wasn’t using his one pectoral fin much. That’s the spot where the whitish is. Damnit.

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Salt/Rid-ich treatment and my biological filter

Rid·Ich Plus will not interfere with biological filtration. The lowering of dissolved oxygen levels in treated water is often associated with the use of formalin or formalin-containing medications. The use of Rid·Ich Plus allows a lower concentration of formalin to be utilized. This decreases the chances of lowering the dissolved oxygen. However (as noted above), treated fishes should be carefully observed for any signs of respiratory distress.

https://www.kordon.com/kordon/produc...ompatabilities!
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Rid·Ich Plus will not interfere with biological filtration. The lowering of dissolved oxygen levels in treated water is often associated with the use of formalin or formalin-containing medications. The use of Rid·Ich Plus allows a lower concentration of formalin to be utilized. This decreases the chances of lowering the dissolved oxygen. However (as noted above), treated fishes should be carefully observed for any signs of respiratory distress.

https://www.kordon.com/kordon/produc...ompatabilities!

Thanks! I’ve got 2 trickle filters and 2 large sponge filters in tank but i do have an air wand still in package that I will add to the mix.
    Running to the nearby store to get more salt.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

When you say whitish, is it speckled white? When I've seen ich, it's typically speckled and I hadn't seen it clamp fins.

If you could add photos, that would be good.

Ich doesn't survive in higher temperatures. Raising temps to 85F-86F for a week to 10 days will typically get rid of ich in the aquarium as it goes through it's life cycle. If it's a bacterial or fungal issue, raising temps might not be the best choice. Pics would help figure out what we can suggest.

Phil

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by Phil4Discus View Post
    When you say whitish, is it speckled white? When I've seen ich, it's typically speckled and I hadn't seen it clamp fins.

If you could add photos, that would be good.

Ich doesn't survive in higher temperatures. Raising temps to 85F-86F for a week to 10 days will typically get rid of ich in the aquarium as it goes through it's life cycle. If it's a bacterial or fungal issue, raising temps might not be the best choice. Pics would help figure out what we can suggest.

Phil

I used to own a small pet shop and saw ich way too much. This isn’t ich. It’s more like a grey/white dusting that can only be seen from the right angle. The other fish seem fine ( so far) and even he is acting pretty good. Hoping I caught it quickly. I have been trying to attach a photo but can’t seem to figure it out. Tried emailing the pic to myself to resize it after reading other posts about it. Still didn’t work. As soon as hubby finishes the water change on his 300 gallon African tank, I’m going to ask him to figure it out. Computers aren’t my strong point.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Oh my! It worked! The guy on the bottom. He’s almost 4 inches, is eating and acting pretty darn good. Can you see the grayish film?