ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 2 weeks old fry dies off with swollen belly

Registered Member

Default 2 weeks old fry dies off with swollen belly

I have a batch of Blue discus fry where half of the group is lost. They are 2 weeks old and were growing really well. Then some of them got a swollen belly and were always swimming on the surface. After some time they die. It only seems to affect the larger fry, the small fry does fine. I started to feed brine shrimp after 7 days en does partial water changes with aged and pre-heated water. Does anyone have already encountered this issue and what could be a way of treating/preventing this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Default Re: 2 weeks old fry dies off with swollen belly

Over feeding BBS, the fry can't digest the meal so quickly so they get bloated or gassed up. The fry need to exercise to work off their meal, then eat a light meal, better to have more light feedings than a few heavy feedings. Also Epsom salt can be added when hatching the BBS.
    BBS will produce sledge and some muck, so larger water changes are required.

Cliff

Registered Member

Default Re: 2 weeks old fry dies off with swollen belly

Thanks for the feedback. Honestly, I did not consider overfeeding BBS could be harmful. I will take some more time training the fry to eat BBS and give smaller amounts in the beginning