ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: RO/DI system questions

Registered Member

Default RO/DI system questions

We are just about ready to order an RO/DI system for our Discus setup.
    I have been in contact with Liquagen and BRS about their systems. I've read here DI isn't needed when breeding Discus as the RO only system should get the TDS down under the 20 range +/-

We were looking at a 75 GPD stage system with the water saver option to go to 150 gpd.(5 stages)
    We have almost 70 psi water pressure where the RO system will be installed.

I was told that adding the water saver feature(75 GPD RO stage)would give us more production and 1/2 the waster water. Is this true at 70 psi water pressure?

Did you eliminate the DI process on your setups?

I keep reading here, Do not use carbon. The RO setups all have two Carbon blocks I don't understand what people are taking about here.

BRS or Liquagen? Any preference here? Maybe another brand to look at?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Default Re: RO/DI system questions

I set my RO system up in the water saver configuration as well. My water pressure is around 85psi. With they RO system running I have 60psi at the inlet to the RO cartridge. I think the recommended is minimum 50psi. The water saver feature worked well for me. It cut the waste water production down by 40%. Without testing I cant say what you pressure will be, with the second RO stage, but it would be worth a try.

As far as which one, I'm not familiar with either brand, I used an inexpensive system from Aquaticlife.

I'm not sure why you were told not to use the carbon stage. I have always heard it helps protect the RO membrane.

Robert