ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Now water storage system

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Default Now water storage system

When I first got back into aquarium keeping, I had an old 29gal garbage can that I had previously used for water storage. This worked fine for me 29gal and 65 gal tanks, but when I set up the 120 gal Discus tank it became a problem. I had to start doing tank maintenance on alternate days, in order to ensure I had enough water warm. Even then, doing a large water change on the 120 was problematic. The problem really grew once it turned winter. The water storage is on my back deck. Keeping it warm is difficult.

I decided it was time to upgrade. I thought about just adding another garbage can but that wouldn't help with heating. Then I ran across a 55 gallon food grade barrel. The barrel was only $30, whereas the a 44 gal garbage can was over $50. With this as a starting place I put together my new system. I designed, and 3D printed caps for the barrel, designed an electronic controller for automating filling the20220122_143250.jpg20220122_143509.jpg20220122_145451.jpg barrel, and built a insulated box around it to assist heating.

It came together rather nicely, if I do say so myself. It is fully automated and allows me to pump water to all of my tanks. When I have use 1/4 of the water, it turns on and automatically starts refilling it, and turns off when it is full.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Default Re: Now water storage system

Very creative and well done!