ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Have any of you heard of French Chef Jean-Pierre Brehier ?

Default Have any of you heard of French Chef Jean-Pierre Brehier ?

Ran into this Michelin star Chef's background of many cooking accomplishments and numerous You Tube Videos a few months back, and was greatly impressed with his skills.

Jean-Pierre, who passed away in 2016 at the age of 78, was a professional chef for over 50 years, and ran several of the top-100 rated restaurants in the world for over 20 years ( no mean feat ), as well as running cooking schools for over 40,000 students over his career. Later in life he owned and operated "Chez Jean-Pierre" restaurant in Palm Beach Florida, and taught many thousands of students at his cooking school in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Recently, I tried his well-explained You Tube recipes for turning out a superb Prime Rib roast, along with excellent home made Au Jus, and best Beef Stock, which are excellent, I can tell you.

The Prime rib in particular was outstanding - his different style of reverse-searing really opened my eyes about how to produce a great Prime rib !

His simple recipe is to slow & low cook a Prime rib @ 250 degrees F until it reaches 120 F. He then removes it from the oven, lightly covers it with tinfoil, and lets it rest for minimum 40 minutes, up to 1 hour, then places in back in a 500 degree oven for up to 10 minutes to finish browning it for carving.

Yes, you heard that right - 'rest it for min. 40 minutes' - that gets the juices completely settling throughout the roast and produces a completely perfect pink med-rare roast of around 135 + F.

Chef Jean-Pierre is a real hoot on his many You Tubes - and has many superb recipes therein - check them out for yourself - he's fun to listen to & watch, no matter what dish or dishes, or various accompaniments, he's showing you how to cook really deliciously !

Real Name
    Jake

Default Re: Have any of you heard of French Chef Jean-Pierre Brehier ?

After using the reverse-sear method for thick steaks (1.5"+), I will never go back to cooking thick cuts of red meat any other way. Consistently produces perfect preferred doneness (provided you use a thermometer to measure temps) and always results in a great, juicy slab of meat. For steaks, I use a ripping hot cast-iron skillet to get a wonderful crust. Only thing needed for seasoning is a little salt.

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    After using the reverse-sear method for thick steaks (1.5"+), I will never go back to cooking thick cuts of red meat any other way. Consistently produces perfect preferred doneness (provided you use a thermometer to measure temps) and always results in a great, juicy slab of meat. For steaks, I use a ripping hot cast-iron skillet to get a wonderful crust. Only thing needed for seasoning is a little salt.
    Yup, works well every time - now try resting the steak a little longer than you normally would.

Below is a link to Chef Jean-Pierre's You Tube for roasting the prefect prime rib - hope it works for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chef...client=gws-wiz
    Last edited by discuspaul; 01-28-2022 at 10:23 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Joe Kennedy

You are mixing up two chefs. Chef Jean-Brehier ran the cooking school and is still living. In fact he posted a new video two days ago. He's still active on his youtube channel.

Jean-Pierre Leverrier passed away and was the one who owned Chez Jean-Pierre.

[QUOTE=discuspaul;1362232]Ran into this Michelin star Chef's background of many cooking accomplishments and numerous You Tube Videos a few months back, and was greatly impressed with his skills.

Jean-Pierre, who passed away in 2016 at the age of 78, was a professional chef for over 50 years, and ran several of the top-100 rated restaurants in the world for over 20 years ( no mean feat ), as well as running cooking schools for over 40,000 students over his career.

My apologies - Don't know how I got the two mixed up, except that their careers seem quite similar in some ways.