AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me what is going on in my tank?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

Default Can someone tell me what is going on in my tank?

Hi guys,
    I'm new to discus and have them more then 2 months now.
    The ting is my checkerboard has started hiding since 3 days ago.
    I knew he is the bottom fish of the order so i took out the fish that was bully him and placed it in my quarantine tank. Situation didn't change. See video.

Then i placed bully back next day (orange fish). Some short fighting went on and all was sorted out quickly. This is him now.
    He eats very well and i don't think he is sick. What is going on? Is this normal for packing order? He swims as low as possible most of the time.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Can someone tell me what is going on in my tank?

Now it just looks like low fish in pecking order. Great looking tank and fish. If the checkerboard starts to look bad and not eating it will need to be moved. So if don’t already set up a qt tank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Now it just looks like low fish in pecking order. Great looking tank and fish. If the checkerboard starts to look bad and not eating it will need to be moved. So if don’t already set up a qt tank.
    Thank you they grow very fast.
    He is right now the slowest fish in the tank. I made some closeup pics in case anyone here sees something odd.

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-01 at 16.17.21.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-01 at 16.17.11.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

also i caught him twitching. like he has a itch. Might be getting used to bacteria. The food is gone in 10 sec max. And it's a lot of stendker good haert.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

Guys he is back hiding again. But now he doesn't eat anymore. He did come out to feed but didn't touch the food. The bully pushed him back to his hole again.
    What should i do? Sell the bully? i'm taking him out again.

The only time he does comes out is when they sleep as a group.

Real Name
    Tom

Remove the bully and the next in the pecking becomes the bully. Best to move the checkerboard and feed separately till it strong than reintroduced. This could take a month.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

Remove the bully and the next in the pecking becomes the bully. Best to move the checkerboard and feed separately till it strong than reintroduced. This could take a month.
    Thanks for the help.
    Am i not risking that the chekerboard stops eating? Not being in a school?
    Water temp is 30c by the way. 86f. Not sure if that makes a difference in aggression. Stendker dealer told me to keep it at that temp because of the type of food they digest.
    Oh and i have some fish in qt tank waiting to go to display tank for couple of weeks now. No sickness has shown yet. Can i place them together?
    He is swimming freely again (out of hiding but staying in one spot) but not suer if he wants to eat later today. Part of me says this is the pecking order happening and just wait it out. But him not eating is worrying me.
    Last edited by Tinzo; 02-02-2022 at 06:07 AM.

Real Name
    Tom

With my Stenker discus I found there was always one or 2 dropping out. When I removed them most came back to saying and growing. Those I left ended up stunted.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

With my Stenker discus I found there was always one or 2 dropping out. When I removed them most came back to saying and growing. Those I left ended up stunted.
    Thanks buddy,
    So for my understanding you can keep a discus alone in a tank for a long period of time without it dying?
    Until it has grown mature i mean.

Real Name
    Tom

It was usually around a month. When I put them back in it was like a new fish to the tank. It seems like when buying juvenile discus some always fall behind. Yes in a tank by themselves they will be fine and hopefully eat more. I’ve had 14 Stendker discus. Bought first as 6. This group one fell behind and I left it in the smaller tank for around a month. It was fine when put in to the main tank. It did take longer to grow out. About 6months longer. Next group was 8. 4 of these had to be moved at different times. 2 went on to grow fine but 2 just never grew and one of them did die. There is a theory that juveniles produce hormones that will make others stop eating. So once removed into a clean tank they do get better.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

It was usually around a month. When I put them back in it was like a new fish to the tank. It seems like when buying juvenile discus some always fall behind. Yes in a tank by themselves they will be fine and hopefully eat more. I’ve had 14 Stendker discus. Bought first as 6. This group one fell behind and I left it in the smaller tank for around a month. It was fine when put in to the main tank. It did take longer to grow out. About 6months longer. Next group was 8. 4 of these had to be moved at different times. 2 went on to grow fine but 2 just never grew and one of them did die. There is a theory that juveniles produce hormones that will make others stop eating. So once removed into a clean tank they do get better.
    Thanks, My checkerbord is 4 inches so not sure if it still is a juvenile. Small eye tho. How a smaller fish can bully him is beyond me. I give him a week in totaal and i remove him if still not eating. He do comes out when it's feeding time but is scared to eat. He makes the shaking movement of male changing each other. Saw this with my angle fish as well. I'll do the other day water change and see if anything improves.

Real Name
    Tom

Yes 4” is still young. If feeding fdbw cubes try holding the cube in front of him. May just need some help. I’ve just got a 5.5” juvenile that wasn’t eating till I started doing that610C3C5E-AC33-4120-AE0D-77EDE2DBD1D5.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

Yes 4” is still young. If feeding fdbw cubes try holding the cube in front of him. May just need some help. I’ve just got a 5.5” juvenile that wasn’t eating till I started doing that610C3C5E-AC33-4120-AE0D-77EDE2DBD1D5.jpg
    I think he would swim backwards if i do that. Funny thing is that i hand fed them in the beginning. They loved it. Sometimes biting my hand lol. I'll try it today again. Beautiful Yellow discus by the way. Oh and i have done 2x 30% water change in the past 2 days. And i'll do it tomorrow again. In the beginning he was eating wild and attacking that food crazy until he got bullied. Now they are all friends again and no one attacking anyone. But then again they all look down after the water changes. Got a bit scared i think and swimming low. Can't crack this mystery. Is it maybe my angle fish? I see him sometimes attacking them once a day.

Real Name
    Tom

That’s pretty much what it is. A mystery! For me removal worked. But for me there was no bullying. They would just stop eating. Like something was in the water was not agreeing with them. Put in another tank they all started eating again. All but one survived. Thing we s that checkerboard is a really nice looking fish. I’d want to keep it as happy as I can.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

That’s pretty much what it is. A mystery! For me removal worked. But for me there was no bullying. They would just stop eating. Like something was in the water was not agreeing with them. Put in another tank they all started eating again. All but one survived. Thing we s that checkerboard is a really nice looking fish. I’d want to keep it as happy as I can.
    I'll remove him tomorrow. I just got brine shrimps but I'm pretty sure he won't eat. The thing is I have a blue ram and some Harley Quinns in qt tank. They are 2 weeks there now not showing any illness. A bit scared to put him in there with them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast