AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can someone tell me what is going on in my tank?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

Default Re: Can someone tell me what is going on in my tank?

Bought a divider from Amazon. Gonna install it today. Checkerboard and the melon gonna stay together. They eat slow or not at all. I hope this improves there eating. If not I'll separate them to another thank.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

I tried everything. From increasing temperature to soaking the food in garlic guard. I give up. Now just waiting till it's dead and get another checkerboard. Other 7 discus are healthy and eating well.
    Short video of how it's now
    https://youtu.be/2s1mMGcqbkg

Real Name
    Tom

Tough decision. Do you have other tanks? If it’s hormones it’s still in the same water. Separate tank is new water with nothing from that tank in it. When keeping discus you will need a second tank. For me it’s required. Being I have 2 discus tanks I’ve got 2 backup tanks. Cheaper to buy them used. Any new fish bought should be quarantined for a month and than one of your original discus introduced to the qt tank. They should be together for at least 2 weeks to make sure there is no chance of cross contamination. Next when medicating a sick fish I use a 5g. Less meds. It amazing how much the meds cost.

Registered Member

I know you said you raised the temperature but you didn't say to what. I think that fish is too beautiful to give up on. This is what I would try. Isolate him to his own tank and raise the temperature to 94 degrees F. Ad salt at 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. Don't worry he can handle the high temps.

Good Luck Tinoush and keep us posted.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

Quote Originally Posted by Rick S View Post
    I know you said you raised the temperature but you didn't say to what. I think that fish is too beautiful to give up on. This is what I would try. Isolate him to his own tank and raise the temperature to 94 degrees F. Ad salt at 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. Don't worry he can handle the high temps.

Good Luck Tinoush and keep us posted.
    Thanks for the replay guys,
    Yes i got a 30 gallon qt tank with fish in it waiting there six weeks (3 more weeks till 6 weeks). I removed the divider today because it was not helping and now another one is not eating well as well. Big numbers should help i thought. Tank temp is 86f al the time.
    I'll separate him to the 30 gallon then. I have a feeling that there fighting for mating. 2 of them are showing strips time to time. Very difficult fish i have have to admit. If there were sick i would understand. but they are not. Not one sign of sickness. Just bully and bully all the time.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

Buy the way my heater can go up to 32c max. how do i get the temp till 34,5c? 94f

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

Ok guys i see the problem getting worse. The bully has claimed a corner and is after everyone who is below him in the rank. My blue diamond has pretty much stopped eating as well.
    Checkerboard is not siting in one corner anymore because he can't. Bully goes after him.

Meanwhile i found this topic.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Bullied/page2

I think it has very useful info. Till now i did 2 water changes a week. If the "hormones in water" case is correct changing the water every 2 days should reduce this. 50% wc every time. I have started this from today.
    I also totally changed the tank scape and moved everything. they are confused and don't fight at the moment. I can't decide move the bully or the checkerboard that is not eating. Blue diamond is the next target if i remove the checkerboard.

P.s. can angle fish provoke aggression? He likes to charge to other discus time to time.
    Bully is not the top fish of the rank. I am going to remove him first. To see how thing goes. Last time i did that chaeckerbord start to eat again
    Last edited by Tinzo; 02-14-2022 at 12:26 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

Guys please someone tell me anything. It's very quiet here.

I ended up separating the sick fish because i have another one not eating as well.
    I have put some calming medicine in the qt tank and deworming medicine.

This morning i woke up and saw these stuff all over the internal filter.
    I saw him last night spitting some white stuff looking like a pease of fat. Please tell me that this was it and these are worms. He is much more happy now and swimming around like never before but not eating yet.
    If these are parasites, its coming form angle fish i keep and fed with bloodworm before buying discus.

WhatsApp Image 2022-02-18 at 09.53.22.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-18 at 09.47.39.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-18 at 09.47.28.jpg

Real Name
    Tom

Well the fish hasn’t eaten in awhile so with no food in it but minerals still going through it that could be the reason for white poo. If it’s looking better that’s a great sign. How warm is the water? Discus will eat in hotter water. So keep the temp at 86-88. Hopefully that will get him eating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Well the fish hasn’t eaten in awhile so with no food in it but minerals still going through it that could be the reason for white poo. If it’s looking better that’s a great sign. How warm is the water? Discus will eat in hotter water. So keep the temp at 86-88. Hopefully that will get him eating.
    These are 3mm/0,12inches thick, poo can be that thick? and it's empty from inside like a tube. water is 84f at the moment. Any higher and the dewormer won't work. I also send these picture to the stendker dealer where i bought the cure form yesterday and he told me that we did the right diagnostic. These are worms. So now is the question to rise the temp tomorrow or keep following the medicine description of 6 days and 80% water change.

Thanks for the help buddy.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

some video's as well,

this is before medication, staying on one spot whole day long.

And this is after medication.
    Last edited by Tinzo; 02-18-2022 at 03:18 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Stick with what the meds recomend. After treatment raise temp. Since they think they’re worms I would deworm the other tank too. If he’s got worms so do the others! I don’t think the worms were the problem. I (just me) think it was hormones in the water. I too had instant results with putting into qt tank. Most started eating within the day all eating within 2.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

I have started medication on the big tank today. Today he saw me and was acting like day one. Going up and down the tank like a puppy. Don't think that he ate the brine shrimps i gave him. I'll rise the temp on Tuesday when medication is done. Got a Eheim jager heater that can go up to 34c. I'll keep you updated. Thank you for the help.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tinoush

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Stick with what the meds recomend. After treatment raise temp. Since they think they’re worms I would deworm the other tank too. If he’s got worms so do the others! I don’t think the worms were the problem. I (just me) think it was hormones in the water. I too had instant results with putting into qt tank. Most started eating within the day all eating within 2.
    Wanted to thank you for the help buddy. He is eating again and feels very good. After medication i kept him in 94f temp and after couple of days feeding him brine shrimps he ate stendker good heart for the very first time again. I couldn't be more happy. I have another difficult eater but everything will be fine. I have learned so much in last week's. Thank you again.

Real Name
    Steve

Any thought of removing the CB instead of the bully? The not eating caught my attention. 2 months is not that long. It may be fighting something. If you have others in the QT tank, then it's not really a hospital or QT tank. If he really looks to be struggling with the group, I would remove him to a separate tank, keep the water really clean, watch closely and see if he'll start eating. Watch for white poop or other issues that might suggest internal parasites. Your second tank may be OK if necessary.
    Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast