AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 pairs - eggs not hatching

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard

Default 3 pairs - eggs not hatching

I have 3 blue diamond pairs in 3 breeding tanks. So far eggs are not hatching in all cases. I have only sponge filters in my tanks. My water parameters are 84F pH 5.5-6 and hardness 55-60 microseimens or 40 ppm. Any clue or advise?

Registered Member

Default Re: 3 pairs - eggs not hatching

Going for the obvious here, but... how old are the fish? how many times have they spawn already? Males take longer to mature, and most times they do not fertilize the eggs the first few spawns, or so I´ve read here. And maybe more important... how long since spawning? Mine take more than 3 days for hatching...

I have the same problem with young, middle aged and older pairs. For the life of me I can't figure it out.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard

All 3 pairs have spawned 2-3 Times and all discus are 18-24 month old. Once I tried with methylene blue right after spawn, no success. Will keep feeding them 2-3 Times a day and hope for the best!

I've tried meth blue as well. It has to be either something genetically weak in the fish which is unlikely or something is wrong with my water which is equally unlikely.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Outside of water being a little warm I can't see a problem, might try hatching in 100% R/O for three days, if they hatch out then you know the problem is your water.

Cliff

I might just try that Cliff, although I take my TDS down to 35 already. I just had my young pair of Discus plus 2 pairs of rams spawn last night. I could tell that they were all on the verge so I changed them to the RO last night. If I get no joy I'll try pure RO in a jar.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard

One more try and if no positive result I will use 100% R/O. Thanks for the advise Cliff

This tried with the 2 pairs of Rams and pair of young Discus did not work. 100% RO for me next time around. I don't know what could suddenly be wrong with my water. An RO tap mix worked for years and my water source is the same.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 02-10-2022 at 11:56 AM.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard

Agree Liz, I had success before but this time it doesn’t work with 3 pairs! Hard to figure it out.

All I can say is that it will take a loooooong time to fill my 50 gallon WC container with 100% RO, even with the booster pump and 80 lbs of water pressure. I may need to get a piggyback membrane if I can figure out how to set it up. I'm a dummy when it comes to tech and RO systems.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    All I can say is that it will take a loooooong time to fill my 50 gallon WC container with 100% RO, even with the booster pump and 80 lbs of water pressure. I may need to get a piggyback membrane if I can figure out how to set it up. I'm a dummy when it comes to tech and RO systems.
    Liz, wait all you need is a gallon of RO, pull out the cone with the eggs and place it in a jar with RO add MB or nothing, hang the jar in the tank so the pair can see the eggs.

Cliff

Oh well, I filled a big contaier with RO. Next time I'm out I'll buy a gallon jar. Do I not need an airstone? At what point to I put the kids in with the pair, after they start wiggling?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Oh well, I filled a big contaier with RO. Next time I'm out I'll buy a gallon jar. Do I not need an airstone? At what point to I put the kids in with the pair, after they start wiggling?
    Liz, I use a wine pitcher with a open handle, the handle fits right over the tank rim, hang the pitcher inside the tank and place an airline on the back side of the cone. I change the water back to the breeding pair's water around one hour before hatching, by doing this I wouldn't
    have to condition fry from RO to tank water. The babies can pour straight on to the parents on free swimming day. The free swimming is the same day that the eggs were laid, example the pair lay eggs on Saturday so the next Saturday should be free swimming.

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Liz;
    I have mine set up with a second membrane. All it takes is to bring the waste water output of the first membrane, into the second membrane. I use a Y-fitting to bring the two RO outputs together, but it's not necessary. It generally works well, as long as your source water is below about 300 TDS. if it is higher than that you get a loss of efficiency and the second membrane may wear out quicker.

Robert

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast