ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 pairs - eggs not hatching

Default Re: 3 pairs - eggs not hatching

Cliff, one of my pairs spawned yesterday afternoon. My pitcher will arrive from Amazon today. I think I remember that you wrote once that you have 72 hrs to transfer the eggs to RO. Is this correct or did I remember wrong?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Cliff, one of my pairs spawned yesterday afternoon. My pitcher will arrive from Amazon today. I think I remember that you wrote once that you have 72 hrs to transfer the eggs to RO. Is this correct or did I remember wrong?
    Liz, I usually transfer the spawn 30 minutes to 1 hour after spawning into RO, and in 72 hours after spawning you should notice some eggs with a black dot in the center of each fertile egg. You might try this a few times as with Discus its a hit or miss.

Good Luck,
    Cliff

Well, my pitchers arrived and the cone is now in RO. Since it's been almost 24 hrs I won't expect great results but I'll still have my fingers crossed.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard

At my end, I had two pairs that spawned today. I will see how it goes and if the eggs are turning white I will try 100% R/O the next Time

I got wigglers from my Discus pair that was first to spawn. I didn't get the eggs into RO until 24 hrs after they were laid so even though less than half are fertile I feel lucky. I'll know more about the young pair's eggs tomorrow. Also got a big spawn from a pair of Pitch Black Rams yesterday evening. Thank you Cliff. I will be forever in your debt.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Liz, you can send me some egg rolls(just joking).

Cliff

Not possible, I'm afraid. They're fun to make if you like prep work. I'm having egg rolls for dinner tonight along with a little egg fried rice. I'll be more than happy to send you some baby Discus once they get to quarter size.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Not possible, I'm afraid. They're fun to make if you like prep work. I'm having egg rolls for dinner tonight along with a little egg fried rice. I'll be more than happy to send you some baby Discus once they get to quarter size.
    Liz, thanks for the offer, but I am dealing with a family illness currently.

Cliff

Well, if the parents meet your standards I plan on having more. Just give me a holler when you're ready.
    Mama Bear

I've been following this thread but I have a similar, yet slightly different experience. I have male (approx 2.5 yo) who spawned with different female 6 to 8 months ago and didn't have great fertility rate but usually about 65-70% rate. Now, with a new female... only slightly higher than 5%????? But same with 3 other pairs over the past year... worst year of fertility rate and I can't crack the code on what I've done wrong/changed since 2 males of the 3 males (1 male had 2 females... that's how I came up with "4 pairs") had much previous spawns of way more fertility success. I'll try slowing water flow drastically during spawning but outside of that, I'm dumbfounded.
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cengiz

I got wigglers from my Discus pair that was first to spawn. I didn't get the eggs into RO until 24 hrs after they were laid so even though less than half are fertile I feel lucky. I'll know more about the young pair's eggs tomorrow. Also got a big spawn from a pair of Pitch Black Rams yesterday evening. Thank you Cliff. I will be forever in your debt.
    Hi Liz,
    How did things go with the young pairs? Was 100% RO a success?

I didn't have a gallon open handled pitcher that Cliff suggested so I improvised. My containers tipped over and got tap water in them. I did get a small hatch from both pairs but both spawns were too small for the parents to bother with once they went free swimming. I looked all over town for an open handled clear plastic gallon pitcher without success. I finally found some on line. I wish they would get here.

I did have success using his method with a spawn of Pitch Black Rams. Parents are caring for them lovingly and they are chowing down on BBS. The saucer the rams spawn on didn't require as large a container as a breeding cone.
    Mama Bear

Finally, my gallon open handled clear plastic pitchers arrived. My young pair has spawned twice since I ordered the dang things but I'll be ready next time around.
    Mama Bear

My older pair started acting a little flirty in the community tank. No heaving breasts or manly restraint but defiantly interested in one another. I moved them to a love nest where they are looking at the cone with interest. My pitcher of RO is hanging in their tank for when they decide to do what Discus pairs do.
    Mama Bear

Hey Cliff. The experiment is underway. The young pair spawned and their eggs ore in the pitchers of RO.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast