AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Is this Fin Rot or something else?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Patrick

Default Is this Fin Rot or something else?

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Added discus to a newly cycled tank and they were fairly stressed for a bit. I noticed that my orange discus had a strange tear in his tail and one in his dorsal fin (Pic 1). Eventually that tear started to expand and some pieces fell off the tail. I used some Kanaplex and thought it was getting better, but I looked today and it looked worse (pic 2).

Doing some daily water changes now. But, wondering if this is fin rot or something else. No other discus are showing signs or have any similar issues.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Tears on fins that look like they are getting worse

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Kanaplex for 3 treatements (6 days)
    Metroplex for 7 treatments (14 days)
    Stress guard (daily dose)

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

55 gallon. 6 discus. All about 3.5-3.5 inches

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

twice week 10-15%. Starting to do larger ones starting tomorrow. I have to age water. So, I don't have enough right now to do a big one.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Planted with some sand / gravel substrate. Been running since December, but I only put the discus in 2 weeks ago after it cycled.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

Comes out the tap at like 7.4. Age for at least 24 hours and it get's down to 6.8-7.0

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

Seachem Prime. added to aging container before adding it to tank. Use the proper dosage

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 84-85

- ph 6.8-7.0

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 0 - just did a water change

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water N

- municipal water Y

- RO water N

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Nope.

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Vibra bites and bloodworms twice a day. Trying to get them to eat discus flakes and brine shrimp, but they aren't interested yet.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Pic 1 - first siting (7 days ago)
    Pic 2 - Today
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Is this Fin Rot or something else?

10% - 15% bi-weekly water changes has little or no impact on water quality. I would do a deep cleaning of all substrate, filter and tank walls and increase water changes to 50% daily and add regular salt @ 2 TBS per 10g for 10 days until this clears up. Replace the % of salt being removed during water changes. I always age my water, but if you don't have the capacity to age 50% then try aging as much as possible and use tap for the rest. Nearly all fish can handle a 25% water change straight from tap, so if you use 15 gallons of aged water and 15 gallons tap (or less) you should be ok. No meds should be necessary. Good clean water should handle this but keep us up to date on its progress.

Overall bioload can produce these exact conditions http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Are-Important

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Patrick

Default Re: Is this Fin Rot or something else?

I just did the water change and added salt. I used aged water and some tap... So far it looks ok, but the smaller blue Discus color turned dark really quick. Think this is just stress from the water change? Will keep doing the water changes and adding salt. Hopefully this all turns around. Thank you.