AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: JWCarlson's first discus tank

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: JWCarlson's first discus tank

Thanks for the pics, Tom! That helps me visualize. Aqua Link looks a bit cheaper than Eshopps. There's also wet/dry or sump kits to fit, say, a 29 or whatever that you just silicone in... I'm not sure the parts and pieces gathered in and cobbled up saves any money from just buying one. No big rush for me, so I'll probably just wait around and try to remember to do some looking in the used market.

Real Name
    Jacob

Tomorrow marks 11 months with these Stendkers. As you can see... the plants that Tom keeps sending me just don't make it in my discus tank. This time it was not the discus, it was my "sanitation" which I have done before without problems. But it nuked these plants. The ones Tom shipped and also some of my own. I don't understand because the process was no different. It's called "reverse respiration" where you submerge the plants in seltzer water for 12 hours in the dark. For whatever reason the plants were utterly destroyed when I put them in. Really disappointing.

The big sponge filters have migrated to my new Apistogramma hongsloi tank. The discus are enjoyed the added floor space and I am enjoying the fact that their food doesn't end up under the filters where they can't get it half the time. It does still get under the driftwood, but that's expected.

20230114_192853.jpg

20230114_192841.jpg

The blue diamond continues to eat, thankfully. It seems to be eating more than the others. I am hoping it starts gaining some weight and size. It's the only one I'm really disappointed in other than the two that I lost, but I understand you "can't win them all". It is the most aggressive discus in the tank, but I hesitate to even use that word. He ONLY chases the other blue discus. The solid turq and the dark angel. I have never once seem him chase any of the red ones, full stop. But he will blast across the tank to scare the dark angel off the beef heart. I think it's hilarious.

I remain unsure of what I will do with the 125. Part of me wants to put the discus in there and add two the rummy school and the lemon tetra school. Keeping it bare bottom. Probably add a bristlenose or two or maybe some sterbai. That would free up the current discus tank to do something planted so my wife would get off my back about "WHY ARE THE PRETTIEST TANKS IN THE BASEMENT?!?"
    The prettiest fish are absolutely not in the basement, though!

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 01-14-2023 at 11:21 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Discus look great! For the driftwood. Is it on a slate bottom? If so I cut 2 small pieces of air tube and place a piece under each side. Lifted it about a 1/4” but added water movement to keep the waste moving. If not on slate. 2 pieces of slate one on each side to lift it up. My plants keep growing so if you want more let me know.

You've done really good with your journey so far Jacob. You ended up with a really nice looking group of fish. Good work! Any plans to try and breed Discus?
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Any plans to try and breed Discus?
    Al
    Knock it off, Al!
    If it happens relatively organically (meaning some of these pair up and want to do it, I could pull them to a tank and give them appropriate water), I could see myself trying but strictly just to say that I've done it once. However, with what little I know about discus, I think basically any two of these fish breeding would be problematic as far as getting a desirable outcome (from a color standpoint)?
    Part of the reason I bought some apistos was they're supposed to be relatively easy. I never never bred many fish other than livebearers (guppies, mollys, platys, and now some swordtails that are maturing). Also accidentally bred some mouth brooder yellow labs many many years ago before going to college. So I have not purposely bred anything for like ~20 years. The biggest hurdle for me would be upkeep of the young fry. I am away daily (at work) from 6 AM until 4:30 PM or so... so trying to feed the little ones enough would be difficult, I think.

At this time, I also have no desire to undertake another aquarium in which I feel obliged to do large, frequent water changes.
    I'm still doing daily 90%ers on these guys. Would not necessarily want to be doing that on another grow out. If that makes sense. The good thing about aquariums is that I can do a lot of the maintenance when everyone else in the house is asleep. And I'm very very strongly leaning towards getting out of the honey bee business as well, which (in theory) gives me some additional free time in the spring and summer months.

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Discus look great! For the driftwood. Is it on a slate bottom? If so I cut 2 small pieces of air tube and place a piece under each side. Lifted it about a 1/4” but added water movement to keep the waste moving. If not on slate. 2 pieces of slate one on each side to lift it up. My plants keep growing so if you want more let me know.
    Most everything you've sent me has done well as long as it didn't go in the discus tank. I'm thinking about taking the temp down from 85 to 82 as maybe that's also something that is negatively impacting the plants. As long as you let me pay shipping or swap honey for them, I'll take them. I'm still learning the planted side of things. It's more complicated that I imagined when I started back into this whole aquarium thing.

Real Name
    Tom

I would have to believe it’s more your water than the temp. The temp in my tanks is 84-86. My ph is 7. Gh 1 and kh 4. Done with api liquid tests.

Real Name
    Jacob

That probably is a big part of it. However, it's in the same water in the basement tanks and they're fine. pH 8.2-8.3, GH and KH are... sky high. like 18-20 degrees on each of them. Can't remember the exact numbers.

However, with what little I know about discus, I think basically any two of these fish breeding would be problematic as far as getting a desirable outcome (from a color standpoint)?
    Nope... You have everything you need. Pigeon X Pigeon, Non-Pigeon X Non-Pb, and for a radical approach, Those 2 blues x your Pbs (preferably the fine lined ones) for a crap-shoot chance at white or Blue Butterflies oh and most important you have the forum for all the info needed.. yep you could do it.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jacob

Well, marking one year of discus (tomorrow). It's been an interesting journey and I have learned a lot. And changed a lot of water. But I think they're turning out well.
    In about a week it will be 365 water changes, which is the real and true year with discus... I think. While I do not consider it hard or difficult work, it has been a... commitment. Honestly, it's kind of ruined me to ever be able to do lazy discus. I see pictures of some other people's attempts and I think it's pretty easy to tell if they've taken a lot of shortcuts. I still do not necessarily know what the future holds for my discus or discus hold for me, if I'm being honest. I could see myself starting even smaller and growing out another batch of fry someday. Mainly because I feel like I left a lot on the table (in the tank?) on these with various issues along the way. And two entirely preventable deaths, which I'm still not happy about. That said, the solid turq and the blue diamond are absolutely rescue cases. I think they've done a great job recovering from their plights and are still actively growing well and putting on weight. It's amazing how they can snap out of parasite issues and more-or-less catch up to the rest of the group. The BD has a ways to go, but the flachen has really been impressive. His tail is kind of droopy, which might be a result of whatever he had going on (hex and maybe worms as well).

That's about it... every day I half expect to come home and find eggs somewhere... but no one is really doing much flirting. And that is completely fine as I do not really think that's something I want to try tackling yet. I'd like to get a batch of apistogramma fry under my belt first.

Thanks for looking and thank you more for the help. There's a whole lot of members on here who have been instrumental getting me over the hump to begin with (Liz and Al's YouTube talk), Willie for telling me how simple it can be and for showing videos of fish laying on their side in a fraction of an inch of water which gave me the courage to do even bigger water changes... and to just grind up beefheart to fed them. Brian has always be extremely helpful from a treatment standpoint and Francis always has the right dose in his replies. And Tom has been a great help and inspiration as well... my discus have greatly enjoyed the plants (snacks) he has sent for them multiple times!
    I'm sure I'm forgetting some people, but I do greatly appreciate this community!

20230214_194533.jpg

20230214_194635.jpg

The BD has gone from sitting in a corner at feeding time to going HARD every time there's something edible dropped in.

20230214_194702.jpg

20230214_194725.jpg

20230214_194748.jpg

DSC_0001c.jpg

DSC_0001c2.jpg

DSC_0007c.jpg

Real Name
    Tom

Well congrats on the first year. And those are still the best looking Stendker discus!!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Took me about 10 minutes to watch your guys grow from little ones to near adulthood. Nicely done Jacob
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Well congrats on the first year. And those are still the best looking Stendker discus!!
    I appreciate the compliment, Tom. Even if I don't believe you! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Took me about 10 minutes to watch your guys grow from little ones to near adulthood. Nicely done Jacob
    Pat
    Is that all the longer it's been?!

Thanks, Pat!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post

Is that all the longer it's been?!

Thanks, Pat!
    Would be nice if it could go that way Jacob
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Jacob

20230902_201116.jpg.e42f3266f5c3f7e2221e28ffa2f5aa57.jpg

20230902_201121.jpg.9b4be3add50c97c3251ea7c70c7e25f0.jpg

Haven't really be active on any forums lately. I've gone down to three 90% changes per week. The fish don't seem to mind. They're all right at 6" +/- 1/4". So they're still growing a bit, I haven't measured them for quite awhile.

Thanks for looking.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast