ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Recommendation

Registered Member

Default Recommendation

I currently have 15 albino royal ruby reds that I purchased from Kenny (RIP) about a year ago. I have been looking to add 10-12 bright solid blue, red eye, 5.5-6 inch discuss for over a year now with absolutely zero luck. I believe the discuss I am describing is called a "Blue Diamond" (maybe that's my mistake calling them blue diamond). I have seen them once at a local store and they called them Blue Diamonds that were from Jack Whattley's (yes I contacted him and they haven't had any). The breeders I have contacted sent pictures of their "blue diamonds" and while beautiful fish they were not bright solid blue... more white with bright blue surrounding fins. Thank you in advance for your help

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Recommendation

Blue Diamonds are solid and uniformly blue, so not even a hint of shading. Different lineages have different bluish hues, ranging from light blue, darker blue, all the way to a blue-green tint. High quality blue diamonds are very difficult to find these days. (I know because I've been looking for them.) Ironically, their popularity 25 - 30 years ago led to huge production with little regard for quality. I saw a 2.5" BD list for $10 in a San Francisco Chinatown pet store in the late 90's, which meant that the Asian fish farm got < $3 per fish. The better BD breeders were priced out because hobbyists couldn't distinguish between high versus low quality fish.

My recommendation is that you reach out to Pingco and Pompas, both of whom are supplied by Forrest, and ask them to source high quality fish for you. If you describe exactly what you want, you'll likely get it. I also strongly recommend that you only buy from Simply Discus suppliers. Not because I have any personal biases for the SD community, but these people rely on strong recommendations by SD members for their business. Many other importers are glad to distribute to other retail channels, which insulate them from criticism of product quality. SD sponsors must delight every customer or take huge lumps in the feedback section.

If you want to know who to stay away from, PM me.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

In general I agree that the best way to go is SD suppliers. May want to consider Discus Madness as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs62 View Post
    I currently have 15 albino royal ruby reds that I purchased from Kenny (RIP) about a year ago. I have been looking to add 10-12 bright solid blue, red eye, 5.5-6 inch discuss for over a year now with absolutely zero luck. I believe the discuss I am describing is called a "Blue Diamond" (maybe that's my mistake calling them blue diamond). I have seen them once at a local store and they called them Blue Diamonds that were from Jack Whattley's (yes I contacted him and they haven't had any). The breeders I have contacted sent pictures of their "blue diamonds" and while beautiful fish they were not bright solid blue... more white with bright blue surrounding fins. Thank you in advance for your help
    The one that always has Blue Diamond are Hans Stendker Discus. I know you might not want to mix Asian and German but visit his web sight you will see he has all sizes. His pictures don't do them justice they are much better looking.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 02-27-2022 at 09:18 PM.

Also Myrtle Beach discus carries them.

https://myrtlebeachdiscus.com/collec...40417897939125

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers