AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Water Flow Direction Recommendations

Registered Member

Default Water Flow Direction Recommendations

Background: I am a very experienced fish keeper, I have bred various freshwater fish and kept planted and reef aquariums. However this will be my first time keeping discus.

I have a 150g acrylic tank (5'x2'x2') and will be using a large sump with about 100L of fluidized K1. I am aware that discus do NOT like strong currents, so I plan on using a ~1500gph DC variable speed pump so I can play around with the amount of flow (and possibly redirect some to feed other equipment). Because it is an acrylic tank, I can put holes wherever I want, so the only limit is the imagination. There is a single overflow in the center of the back panel.

I'm not concerned with creating surface turbulence because there is a large overflow area and the sump will have lots of aeration. I planned to diffuse the sump return a lot so I can have a higher turnover with less perceived flow in the tank. One idea I had was to run a spray bar along the bottom of the back with the holes facing forward. The idea is that it would help prevent waste from collecting on the bottom.

What recommendations do you guys have on how I should set this up?

Default Re: Water Flow Direction Recommendations

I don't know about fancy set up like yours but it's a myth that discus don't like a strong current. Mine play in the incoming water when I do a WC. I would give them a place with a current and a larger place where the water is more calm. Keep the tank BB with maybe a large piece of driftwood with java fern and Anubis glued to it plus lots of large WC with aged water and your Discus will be happy.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Mine play in the incoming water when I do a WC. I would give them a place with a current and a larger place where the water is more calm.
    Yup! Mine always face into the HOT Magnum when I run it.

Registered Member

Ditto my Discus tanks (75g) had major water movement. Even so called "slow" water in the Amazon is still moving unfathomable amounts of water down stream.