ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Do you clean your aging tank?

Registered Member

Default Do you clean your aging tank?

I'm aging my water in a 20g brute tote and it is getting slimy after a months of use. For those that age how often if ever do you clean the aging tank? I've checked it several times to make sure ammonia isn't building up from bacteria forming, but so far nothing. It's just nasty inside. Brown crud is forming around the water line.

Registered Member

Default Re: Do you clean your aging tank?

I clean out the age water weekly the longest would be 2 weeks. I also filter the water before aging. Certain season the water might be brownish coming out from the bottom of the reservoir.

Cliff

Real Name
    Jacob

How do you clean it, Cliff? Just a scrub and rinse or are you using bleach or something?

Real Name
    Willie

A 20% Clorox rinse for 20 minutes is all you need to clean it out. You don't have to fill the entire tote, just lay it on each side so it's covered in a Clorox solution for 20 minutes or so, then lay it on another side...

The key, however, is to prevent that crud from forming. All you need to do is not add dechlor during aging. You can add dechlor as the clean water is going into the tank without zero impact on the fish. The chlorine/chloramine in tap water is sufficient to keep anything from growing.

My conditioning tanks have been in continuous use for 5+ years and the inside of the tanks are squeaky clean because I add dechlor after aging.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Jacob

I've only been aging water for six weeks, but was wondering when the slime would start. Haven't had any yet. I just add dechlor to the tank while filling. I just upgraded barrels so it's only been in service for a few days anyway.

...crap, I never looked close enough to see if any slime. Wait... we're supposed to clean the damn thing once in a while?... ummmmm... guess that'll be a future thread of mine:

"I chose not to clean my aging barrel... ever... and might've killed fish"

See, dummies are useful! But until that happens, I'm not cleaning mine (...and I know that at least a few of know I'll readily call myself out if that happens... because my behind doesn't learn unless it's the hard way; ) )
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Mervin

Mine hasn't been cleaned in over 10 years and never had slime. Was never a reason to clean it. It still looks clean and only a mineral stained water line. I guess it must depend on your water source. I don't put dechlor in my aging barrel.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 03-09-2022 at 09:06 AM.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I don't put dechlor in my aging barrel.
    Ditto!

Mine has only been cleaned once and that was because I read that I should do it. My chlorine gasses off with lots of bubbles for 24 hrs. If I suspect I need dechlor I add it to the tank.
    Mama Bear

I just cleaned my first barrel that I got a wile ago since I noticed some black algae. I scrubbed with a brush dipped in Clorox and let it dry then rinsed. I filled it to the top added prime and after a hour or two I will empty and rinse. Then it should be ready for my water mix and start aging no dechlor when aging well water.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 07-09-2022 at 06:53 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

I cleaned mine once in a while some time back. I never bother any more. As long as the fish are happy, I'm happy.
    Mama Bear

I had the time and the will. Also today I turned in 42 ABN'S for store credit at the place I bought my Marlboro pair. I was hoping they had some nice discus from Hans but their discus tank look's like S**t and they even had a floater. I can use the credit for other things I will need down the line. I go there from time to time and always look and see what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I cleaned mine once in a while some time back. I never bother any more. As long as the fish are happy, I'm happy.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

What type and size of Discus are you looking for, Chuck?
    Mama Bear

I was not really looking to get more discus for now but with the store credit I had to look. The tank that my pair came from had another Marlboro that I think was there when I got mine but he looked pretty bad. Dark tank, dark substrate it had black spots all over and did not look happy. It will be getting supplies from them to use up my store credit.
    Just Call Me Chuck