ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Barbs?

Registered Member

Default Barbs?

Hello all!
    Was just curious lately, if anyone has ever had luck with any type of barb with Discus? I have always loved my barbs, in particular my black ruby barbs, in one of my other setups. I have never kept any type of barbs with discus before, but after keeping my black rubies for multiple years now, they are so much more peaceful than I ever expected. Was just curious if anyone has had or knows of someone having luck with any types of barbs with discus? It appears that tiger barbs are the main reason barbs have a rasher rap, as they seem to be a lot more crazy and nippy than some of their other relatives.
    Any input would be appreciated as I am just very curious Lol.

Default Re: Barbs?

I can't imagine anyone here having the answer. Face it, it a rather unusual question. You may have to figure this one out for yourself. Take some of the least fin nipping ones, toss them in with the Discus and watch closely.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I can't imagine anyone here having the answer. Face it, it a rather unusual question. You may have to figure this one out for yourself. Take some of the least fin nipping ones, toss them in with the Discus and watch closely.
    Yes that's kind of what I was thinking, but figured it was worth the ask to see if anyone here has tried it My rubies are in a large school so they have never shown interest in anything but their own kind honestly.

Someone here may know. I just doubt it. Will the Barbs do well at 82 degrees? If so try it and let us know. I'd love to see pics of your different Barbs. The only ones I've ever known personally are the Tiger Barbs. They're pretty but they will rip fins to shreds.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Someone here may know. I just doubt it. Will the Barbs do well at 82 degrees? If so try it and let us know. I'd love to see pics of your different Barbs. The only ones I've ever known personally are the Tiger Barbs. They're pretty but they will rip fins to shreds.
    I keep the barbs currently at around 80 degrees, and some research online is showing they like anything from 77-82, so it seems like they should do fine! I have a feeling they'd even be ok in warmer since I believe they are from India-ish regions. Might just have to try it! Would definitely share some pics too! I used to keep tigers but got tired of their nippy habits. Plus very fish freshwater fish are more stunning than an adult colored male Black Ruby. True gems imo and seem to be so much more peaceful than tigers!

Real Name
    Steve

I've kept Rosy barbs with angels in a planted tank with no problems. I think the temp. was around 78 degrees. Never kept them with discus but I doubt they would bother them much. I think Rosy barbs are less nippy than tigers and some of the other barbs. Rosy barbs will eat the hell out of hair algae. They are also easy to sex. Males are rosy pink and females are gold. There is also a long-finned strain available now. They will also breed in a well-kept planted tank.

I've kept Rosey Barbs with Discus in 82 degree water. I remember finding some long finned beauties on AB and bred them for a while.
    Mama Bear