AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Hello from me and my algae

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Damian

Default Hello from me and my algae

A big hello to everyone. Back into the hobby after a lengthy break due to illness. Overall pleased with the new set up but having trouble getting the parameters right for good plant growth without algae. Tbh I'm a little unsure how to move forward. The tanks been set up 14 weeks. Cycling was probably 4 to 6 weeks during which I played around with decor and plants. The next 4 weeks I gradually built bioload introducing a group of coryadorus and a golden nugget, who soon cleaned up the initial nuisance algae. At this point the tank was running at 27. The following 2 weeks I increased the temperature to where it is now, 28.5, have got 6 juveniles in all happy. My main focus is on algae control, which I'm really unsure about. Water changes are 40% twice weekly with ferts added below recommendations once a week. Root tabs in the substrate for the large swords. I suspect the main problem may be my lighting which I'm currently working on. I have the fluval plant 2.0 6500k led light and the control options on each colour spectrum are something I'm not familiar with. So, do I just ramp up to 80-95% on each for 8 hrs, or, as I'm trying to do, research what blue does to algae, red etc and adjust accordingly? Is my tank still settling in so to speak? Is it now the increase in nutrient levels due to 6 hungry mouths and experimenting to see what they prefer, trying to clean out as much uneaten food as possible without spooking them too much? As for water parameters last test showed no detectable ammonia or nitrite, 12.5 nitrate, pH 6.9 temp 28.5. Getting a phosphate test kit today. Haven't bothered yet with gh and kh as I intend to water change straight from the tap which I'm doing (busy self employed worklife means tank has to be relatively easy maintenance) fish seem happy with that and it's very easy for me to temperature match. Yes, that was a big hello 👋
    Attached Images Attached Images