ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Optimum Feeding Routine - Young Discus

Registered Member

Default Optimum Feeding Routine - Young Discus

It's been a while since I kept young discus (2") as mine lived around 10 to 12 years until the last two went in February. I've introduced 6 small ones over the past week and they're all acclimatized, albeit one is bullied, and eating well. My question is basically around how many times a day should they be fed? I feed them a combination of discuss diet and flake, both of which is eaten within minutes. As they are only 2" should I feed twice a day?

BTW I change 20 gallons a day (RO) in the 125 Gallon tank.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Optimum Feeding Routine - Young Discus

Well for me they should be in a smaller tank for a few months before adding to the 125. A 40-45 is a good starting spot. Feed as often as you can till there stomachs are big. For me I did about 6times a day and I changed 50% a day till 4”. Just easier to clean the smaller tank and less room for them to burn off the food swimming.

Registered Member

Default Re: Optimum Feeding Routine - Young Discus

I've been feeding them 3 times a day then vacuuming the tank before doing the daily water change. Bellies look full but not bloated so fingers crossed this will promote adequate growth. Unfortunately I have had to get rid of both my quarantine/hospital tank and grow out tank, hence they had to go in the show tank after I'd quarantined them at a friends. Cheers guys.