AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: new SUMP Design

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Prashant

Default new SUMP Design

hi All,
    I have a 75G tank with a Fluval canister filter. It has been working well for just 4 fish right now. But I want o now add more fish and contemplated using FX6. But I want to go for a SUMP instead, that will be better for regular maintenance. Please see the attached image for the design. I will be using a 29 Gallon Aqueon tank for the sump. The drawing is not to scale. Please suggest if this design looks good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Default Re: new SUMP Design

I think this will work just fine, glad to see you using the anoxic filtration. My sump is set up in a similar way also.

Registered Member

You should place the floss or filter sock above the media as it gets dirty quickly and it will be difficult to replace3 the floss where it sits now.
    Also this is not anoxic filtration. There are normal levels of oxygen in this system

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Prashant

The Anoxic part is based on Kevin Novak's videos. The idea is not to have low oxygen levels in the water itself but rather at the core of the Basket. So the idea is that normal aerobic bacteria will populate the exterior of the BCB basket and use up significant oxygen thereby reducing the oxygen levels for bacteria in the core. This in theory creates anoxic (low oxygen) conditions for such bacteria to populate. I don't know if this will work but based on all the videos by Kevin Novak this is how he does it. So I want to try it out. If there is a better way to implement an anoxic filter I would love to try it

With regards to the mechanical, I will be using a lighting diffuser as a base for each foam and probably use long zip ties as easy pulls. using filter floss, in the beginning, will render coarse and medium foam useless.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Prashant

Quote Originally Posted by farebox View Post
    I think this will work just fine, glad to see you using the anoxic filtration. My sump is set up in a similar way also.
    Got any pics of your sump with anoxic baskets? Would love to learn from tried and tested designs

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

In my sump using A DIY pre-filter containing Pinky filter media, and a coarse and medium pool filter sponge media. To support the pre-filter have two media baskets with some Ultra Bio-home media just weigh the baskets down. In the second chamber have four BCB (baskets) made with the Special Kitty litter and powered laterite. Check it out: https://youtu.be/AMcSDq9jAXc

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Prashant

ooh yeah, I found this on youtube yesterday. Was not sure if it was your channel. The entry is definitely noisier than I would like. That's the reason I have a thinner chamber in my design so the entry can be fully submerged for quiet operation. Otherwise, my wife will not approve it. The Kitty litter I got is the same as you use but it is a lot dustier and also mushes down easily in water. That's why I have not added it to the tank yet.

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

The sump is much quieter than in the video. The tank is in the living room and my wife too would say something if it was noisy....

Registered Member

+1 for anoxic filtration! I cut 2 300 micron filter socks and filled them with oil-dri (baked clay) and seachem fluorite red (iron) and dropped in sump.