ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Sourcing quality discus food in UK

Registered Member

Default Sourcing quality discus food in UK

Although our US members appear to be spoilt for choice when it comes to food for discus where is the best place to get a decent variety from in the UK? I'm based in Jersey which with only one LPS restricts my options and apart from frozen bloodworm which I don't use I'm limited to discus diet, which the fish love, and average dried food. Obviously there may be issues ordering frozen food due to the time it takes to deliver to an island but there must be some better options out there for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Registered Member

Default Re: Sourcing quality discus food in UK

Grow your own white worm, all you need to feed the worms are bread and water.

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

I feed mine Hikari vibrabites, mysis occasionally and mostly freeze dried black worms. I’m getting them off beefheart.

Registered Member

Thanks, will try the Hikari, I've used the freeze dried black worms before. Trouble is my fish love the discus diet and can be fussy with some dried food.

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by mleibowi View Post
    I’m getting them off beefheart.
    Why? (if you don't mind me asking?)

I've been feeding mine primarily straight homemade beefheart (with nothing added). And about a cube of Al's freed-dried black worms daily. Sometimes a couple of the FDBlkW. I usually toss in some Hikari Vibrabites or Discus Bio-Gold pellets every two or three days. They won't eat it excitedly, but will eat it once they get to snooping around after a main feeding. I order everything online as there's not anything particularly close to me from which to purchase. I did buy the beef hearts from a local locker in a 60# box and processed about half of it.

Edit: I somehow didn't notice you'd said UK. So sorry about that. Beef heart isn't particularly difficult to process if you don't mind some work.
    Additionally, I just saw yesterday that Stendker is offering a granule now, I think?
    https://www.facebook.com/stendkerdiscus.nl
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 04-03-2022 at 12:35 AM.

Registered Member

I've not had much luck with my own beefheart, any advice re recipes? I've tried the Tetra Discus pellets which look surprisingly like the Stendker Discus pellets and the fish ignore it, no interest?

Is the FDBlkW okay to order online or will it spoil?

Real Name
    Jacob

I'll preface this with I've had discus for less than two months. So take that for what it's worth. Beef heart, on Willie's suggestion I just cleaned up the heart (fat and connective tissue) and then ground it up in my meat grinder (two passes through). Adding nothing to it at all, just 100% trimmed beef heart. Froze it in about 3/4" sheets in a gallon ziplok bag and then cut it into cubes when it was hard, but not solidly frozen. Store it in the freezer in some plastic dish with a lid. Toss it into the tank just like that. The cubes stay mostly separate, at worst a couple stick together, but they pop apart easily.

FDBlkW are like most freeze-dried products. As long as they're packaged OK, they'll be fine. I store mine in the freezer because I bought quite a bit from Al and talked with him about it asking about the freezer. I think he suggests putting it in the fridge. It just works out better for me to be in the freezer. There's not any appreciable amount of water in it, so it cannot really be frozen, it's just cold. Which should prevent spoiling. You don't want to reach in to grab a cube with wet hands because that will make a mess and might introduce enough moisture to start causing problems. I've only used Al's, so I cannot comment on other suppliers.

Registered Member

Will try to get some online and perhaps ask my butcher to do the honours we're the beef heart

Real Name
    Francis

Being lazy I use ground chicken breasts from the supermarket instead of animal hearts......using a food processor to blend them together.
    Raw minced chicken 30 %
    Raw prawns 70%
    A cup of flakes food acts as a binder
    Calcium citrate
    Spinach (blanched in hot water 30 sec.)
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

And they eat it?