ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Where to buy beef heart mix online?

Registered Member

Default Where to buy beef heart mix online?

Hi SimplyDiscus, first post here. I'm from Baltimore, MD and bought my discus from Discus Hans. For the past 3 years I've bought my beef heart mix from him. However, he recently has closed his location in Baltimore and only does online orders now and has relocated to Dover, DE. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to buy beef heart mix elsewhere as getting food shipped from him is going to cost a fortune. I've seen Jack Watley and Myrtle Beach discus as suggestions on Reddit but wanted to poke here before I placed an order.

I also don't have the means to create my own discus food as I live in a college apartment. Thanks for your help!!

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Where to buy beef heart mix online?

Grasshopper
    Francis

Quote Originally Posted by xCharmCity View Post
    Hi SimplyDiscus, first post here. I'm from Baltimore, MD and bought my discus from Discus Hans. For the past 3 years I've bought my beef heart mix from him. However, he recently has closed his location in Baltimore and only does online orders now and has relocated to Dover, DE. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to buy beef heart mix elsewhere as getting food shipped from him is going to cost a fortune. I've seen Jack Watley and Myrtle Beach discus as suggestions on Reddit but wanted to poke here before I placed an order.

I also don't have the means to create my own discus food as I live in a college apartment. Thanks for your help!!
    Hans

https://discusfishstore.com/product-...y/discus-food/
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Jacob

I'm not trying to be snarky or rude, but you can probably make discus food. As long as you have a knife and a place to buy some beef heart. There's some older threads on here of people using "salad shooters" to shred beef heart. I bought a 60# box of beef hearts and will end up with about 25# (conservatively) of resulting beef heart out of it (just straight beef, nothing added) for $108 and some of my time. So something like $4-5/pound after all the trimming.

I don't know if any of the other suppliers will be much cheaper once you factor in shipping and everything. Would it make sense to make a small trip out of it and stock up from Hans occasionally? Or maybe you can find someone making the trip sometimes who would be willing to help?

Real Name
    Brian

Beef has doubled and even tripled in price. BH, at least near me, has not. I pay $2.28lb but lose about 40% after trimming. Shipping is also a killer these days.

Pre-made BH mix can cost $20-$25lb plus shipping. If you buy the little packs in the pet stores it's much more. I make my own mix, which is actually about 30% BH, 50% shrimp and the rest is veggies, and it cost me a little over $100 for 15lbs. It's messy to make but it's worth it... If you can't make your own, your options are limited if you want to feed your discus BH.

Just feed Al's FDBW A lot of protein in those. No need for beefheart !

Real Name
    Willie

You can order beefheart by the LB from Dan at Aquatic Foods Blackworms at blkworm@aol.com. He has supplied me for ~10 years.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    You can order beefheart by the LB from Dan at Aquatic Foods Blackworms at blkworm@aol.com. He has supplied me for ~10 years.
    For anyone interested... you can find some additional information here:
    https://aquaticfoods.com/FrozenFishFoodsM.html

If you go a-googlin' you're going to end up finding a bunch of different sites that aren't who Willie is talking about.

Real Name
    Willie

Thanks for adding these details, Jacob.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member JustinLoebbaka's Avatar
    Real Name
    Justin

Miranda @ChicagoDiscus ALWAYS has a freezer full & my fish love her mix!!

Brian, what type of shrimp? Regular cocktail shrimp in frozen food section? (I know there's different types used for cocktail shrimp... just seeing)
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Brian

The shrimp I use is red or pink, uncooked with shell on and usually around 30-50 count because of cost. And it must be on sale, lol...