ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White spot on my Marlboro pair

Default White spot on my Marlboro pair

I noticed the were acting strange the today I saw these marks on them. I don't know if it's from horsing around (fishing around) or some sickness. They do play a lot and maybe they scratch themselves. Tested the water zero on all counts. The eat but a little less so today I treated them with beef heart that I keep frozen for special occasions since that's not on their regular diet and they gobbled it up. Today is water change 75%. I do that once a week but I take out 5 to 10 gallons daily vacuuming the sand.

20220409_171802.jpg

20220409_171935.jpg

20220409_171951.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: White spot on my Marlboro pair

Change water changes to 40-50% every day or two. Add 2 TBS salt per 10g and replace the salt removed during WC for 7 days. It'll probably be gone in 2 or 3 days...

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Change water changes to 40-50% every day or two. Add 2 TBS salt per 10g and replace the salt removed during WC for 7 days. It'll probably be gone in 2 or 3 days...
    Yes I was thinking adding salt thanks
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

She is darting and hiding once in a wile she out to swim with her mate but the she goe back to hiding .

20220410_151129.jpg

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Found some white marks on the side of Both discus. Some rams were moved to the tank but I think it started before (removed them at this time). The two have been in this tank with 3 ABN's with no issues.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, head-standing or tail-standing, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Female pour eating male eats OK yesterday wile at 50% draining the water for my water change she darted like a crazy surprised she did not kill herself. Male has a white zit see picture in first post. Both have wounds. She still darts for no reason once in a wile.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Just added salt to tank as per @jeep suggestion

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

75 Gallon October 2021 2 Marlboro discus 6 1/2 + inches 3 ABN's 3"

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often)

Once a week 60% to 75 % every day with cleaning 5 to 10 gallons.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Running 6 Months.
    1" to 1 1/2" sand bottom hardscape

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

24 hr aging and adjusted with Backing soda & muriatic acid. ph in the tank 6.94 PH swing .2.
    If water not adjusted it would be PH 5.5 after 24 hrs 7.5 with no KH and crash in the tanks down to 6.2 later on.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

No conditioner but I use some baking soda and acid to adjust PH

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 82.5

- ph 6.94

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 0

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water yes

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Moved some rams pairs from my other tank now removed.

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Aquatic Suppliers Black worms cubes with Biopigment

Aquatic Suppliers Black worms Regular

Libra Bites

Beef Heart once in a wile.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 04-10-2022 at 03:13 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Real Name
    Brian

It's hard to say exactly what's going on. Did she start darting after additional water changes and salt? Additional water changes and this mild dose of salt would not cause any additional issues unless it's water related. I would test your water again because any aquarium will have at least nitrates. Shake the heck out of all the test liquids before testing the water. And, using an acid and baking soda at the same time can be very tricky even for the most experienced people. I would focus on a stabile ph rather than a targeted ph. My discus thrive in 8.2. I'm not saying this is the issue, just hypothesizing. I'm not personally familiar with using well water, but yours is different than most I've talked with others about. Most well water is usually pretty hard and has a stabile ph after 24 hours of aging.

If this continues, are you in the position to place them in a hospital tank or a 20-29g breeder tank if they are a pair? This would allow you more control over the environment.

Have the white spots changed at all? One of the looks a little raised which could mean infection setting in or a parasite...

Real Name
    Mervin

The baking soda and muriatic acid together "scratches my head". I've never heard of this before, can you explain? I don't think adjusting it just prior to a WC is a good thing because it will bounce around. If your well water depletes it's KH in a matter of a day or so maybe you should try crashed coral or aragonite in your filter. The amount will depend on your water and stocking.

It's hard to say exactly what's going on. Did she start darting after additional water changes and salt? Additional water changes and this mild dose of salt would not cause any additional issues unless it's water related. I would test your water again because any aquarium will have at least nitrates. Shake the heck out of all the test liquids before testing the water. And, using an acid and baking soda at the same time can be very tricky even for the most experienced people. I would focus on a stabile ph rather than a targeted ph. My discus thrive in 8.2. I'm not saying this is the issue, just hypothesizing. I'm not personally familiar with using well water, but yours is different than most I've talked with others about. Most well water is usually pretty hard and has a stabile ph after 24 hours of aging.

If this continues, are you in the position to place them in a hospital tank or a 20-29g breeder tank if they are a pair? This would allow you more control over the environment.

Have the white spots changed at all? One of the looks a little raised which could mean infection setting in or a parasite...
    I had seen him dart before and when I saw the two spots I removed all other fish except the ABN's, they seem not to care about them they housed the two from the beginning.
    He darted the worst as I was doing the water change about 50% through. Then I added the salt as you posted but only added 1TBS per 10 galloon to start. That made the ppm about 950, started with 220 PPM of TDS. I keep an eye on him wile I am at work with a surveillance camera and he comes out swims a little then back to his corner. Also I have tank lights off. He banged himself pretty bad last time he darted. I have every medication you could think of but I hope meds are not the solution. The one that is raise has the pimple in the middle.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 04-11-2022 at 01:13 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Well today she is out of the corner and swimming around. She is a little scraped on her sides but I think it will heal ok. Also I was able to turn the light back on low.

20220411_201510.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

But she keeps going back to the corner and stays there for a wile.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Jeep the wounds are much better even the new one she got in the water change. Still a little stressed but no darting so far.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Update:
    The both look great the only problem their not eating since this started. I tried FDBW and Vibra Bites that they always love to pick from the bottom. Today gave then some beef heart laced with garlic and nothing. I guess they will start eating at their own pace. Besides that no marks, scratches healed and seem to swim around calm. I don't know but they been trying to spawn since December. They go through the motions their colors Britten they play with the cone and then nothing so maybe it's just frustration. They do spend a lot of time looking at the heater and the FX4 input pipe. Bottom line no food no poop. I did do a Levapesole wormer X treatment no worms.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 04-20-2022 at 05:13 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Real Name
    Brian

What's the current temp?

what's the current temp?
    84 f
    Just Call Me Chuck

Real Name
    Brian

Bump it up to 93 and see what happens. This may stimulate appetite.

Bump it up to 93 and see what happens. This may stimulate appetite.
    I have some ABN'S in that tank can they take the high temp? Do you bring it up gradually?
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 04-20-2022 at 07:29 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast