AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Need some help with my KH

Default Re: Need some help with my KH

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I tend to agree. He's still experimenting but I think the goal should be a bit higher in the long term. I've been helping someone who recently experienced a bad ph crash and loss of biofiltration with a kh of 2. But, they were on vacation and someone else was taking care of things. No telling what else may have contributed...
    Like I thought the KH in the aging tank is 2 but the tanks are at 3 since I have the crushed coral in the filters it up it one notch. I am trying to see if I can increase it at the aging tank.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

My two issues seem to be low KH and a lot agitation with air pump the well water raises the PH temporarily. Is this CO2 outgassing?
    My tap has a metering pump injecting soda ash to safeguard the pipes and appliances, no water softener (I am not using it bypassed).
    PH = 6.8 – 7
    KH = 9
    GH = 6
    TDS = 300
    Bypassing the soda ash.
    PH: 5.5
    KH = 0
    GH: 6
    TDS = 190
    If I run a pump and air stone for 24 Hrs. without the soda ash adjusting system that I use for the whole house the PH shoots up from 5.5 to 7.8 at a KH of 0. But if I run just the circulating pump no air it doesn't go up as much. That 7.8 will start dropping creating a very unstable PH. So for now I been adding some backing soda when I fill so my PH has been high with an end point of 7.8ish PH and KH = 1 - 2. (Temporary solution)
    I been running a few different tests.
    50/50 mix, 2.5 gallons from my tap (soda ash system) with 2.5 gallons of RO. This morning it was PH = 8, KH = 5 and GH = 3.
    I also filled one 55 gallon drum (actual gallons 57) with 22.8 gallons (40%) from my soda ash system and 34.2 gallons (60%) RO and had the pump circulating only. The PH started at 6.75 KH of 4 (when full) and this morning the PH was at 6.86 TDS = 140. I turned on the air feed to the pump head and I will check when I get home this afternoon how much does it go up.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 06-28-2022 at 11:52 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

This is where I stand today.

1) If I fill the 55 gallon drum (57G actual) with 25 gallons of well water that get injected with soda ash. I top off the tank (32G) with RO water with a TDS of 10 ppm. After aging 24 hrs with a circulating pump with air hose attached. PH=8, GH=3, KH=4 and a TDS=170

2) If I fill the 55 gallon drum (57G actual) with 20 gallons of well water that get injected with soda ash. I top off the tank (37G) with RO water with a TDS of 10 ppm. After aging 24 hrs with a circulating pump with air hose attached. PH=8, GH=3, KH=4 and a TDS=120
    Just Call Me Chuck

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345