ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some help with my KH

Default Need some help with my KH

I am looking for some advice and help getting through my water problem. Maybe somebody that has had this issue or a water expert specially well water.
    I been trying to control my PH due to low KH in my well water. Water from the well has a KH of 0, or best case one (one drop yellow). GH is good at 5-6. The PH is at 5.5 and after 24 hrs. or less. with an air stone, circulating pump and heat the PH jumps to 7.5, If add to the tank it will start dropping at the tanks. Also I don’t like to add water at that PH to a tank that the PH is at 6.74 that (it’s gotten down to 6.2). Right now my discus tank is at 6.94 after water change with adjusted aged water. I tried to get as close I can get within .4. This is not a good solution long term and I think my fish are suffering for it.
    I think I need to raise the KH after its filled and see where if stabilizes and target that PH for my tanks.
    Input is appreciated
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Need some help with my KH

Hi Chuck,
    I bet your well water is quite different than many other well users. Mine is extremely hard, high KH. So you have no carbonate buffer for the biologic processes to consume. I think folks will say the pH rises as it ages as CO2 is off-gassed. In your tank, the nitrification process is making it more acidic, setting up for pH crash eventually. You probably know all this, folks will correct me if I'm wrong. I think baking soda, sodium bicarbonate is frequently used to add carbonate. Also, I've heard of crushed coral, calcium carbonate, being used.

Yesterday wile doing a water change on my 75 g tanks I added 2 cups of crushed coral to my FX4's.

Water in my aging tank PH 7.3 after 24 Hrs. KH 0.

Water in tank #1 before WC 7.04 KH 0
    Water in tank #1 after WC tested this morning PH 7.25 KH 2

Water in tank #2 before WC 7.11 KH 0
    Water in tank #2 after WC tested this morning PH 7.22 KH 2

I was surprised how quick the KH went up, some of the powder in the coral must not have wash off and gave the KH a quick boost I will monitor to see how it holds up. The PH is a bit higher that I would like but I can live with it and it might still go a bit higher. The 2 20 G tanks their was no difference yet since it's just a bag in the corner of the tank and it would take a lot longer to raise the KH. I ordered some old school corner filters that are sponge and media stones encased in plastic so I can replace some of the media for crushed coral and can be more effective.

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 04-13-2022 at 07:04 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Mervin

All you need to do is adjust the amount of coral if you find it raises too high. I only have a half cup in a ladies nylon stocking in a 76 gal. My water is soft like yours and depletes it's KH, PH holding power in a few days. More so if I feed heavy.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 04-13-2022 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    All you need to do is adjust the amount of coral if you find it raises too high. I only have a half cup in a ladies nylon stocking in a 76 gal. My water is soft like yours and depletes it's KH, PH holding power in a few days. More so if I feed heavy.
    I will keep an eye on it and reduce as it rises. How much did you get it to rise with that amount?
    Just Call Me Chuck

Real Name
    Mervin

It just stays more stable at 6.8-7 ph. Yours might be a bit different from different elements in the water. Mine comes from the lake to the water plant at 6.2-6.4 and leaves the plant at about 7.2-7.4. After aerating and aging it is 7.2; no drop with aging. But I have to age because of micro bubbles and gets dangerous/does stress the fish if I do more than a 25-30% WC from the tap. I usually do 80% or more on my WC's.

What about adding straight Calcium Carbonate Powder instead of crushed coral? That way you'd be able to control the dosage. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K43MRKO?th=1
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    What about adding straight Calcium Carbonate Powder instead of crushed coral? That way you'd be able to control the dosage. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K43MRKO?th=1
    No mater what I do the PH is going to rise so If I can find a good dose with the coral I would prefer it. I do have calcium chloride on hand that I bought to Remineralize RO If needed but I never used it. I don't know about the calcium bicarbonate. I just want stable PH that when I do a WC I don't have to worry that it will change next day.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Hi Chuck,
    I bet your well water is quite different than many other well users. Mine is extremely hard, high KH. So you have no carbonate buffer for the biologic processes to consume. I think folks will say the pH rises as it ages as CO2 is off-gassed. In your tank, the nitrification process is making it more acidic, setting up for pH crash eventually. You probably know all this, folks will correct me if I'm wrong. I think baking soda, sodium bicarbonate is frequently used to add carbonate. Also, I've heard of crushed coral, calcium carbonate, being used.
    I know my water is way different and I don't know why they added a water softener the TDS is at 190, KH 0, GH tops 6. I also have a soda ash dosing pump to raise the PH for the whole house but that takes the KH to 8-9 and a PH of 7 + and that is temporary. If you let that age the PH will go through the roof. I might get an acid neutralizing filter that uses calcite for the house not very expensive but I wonder how effective they are.
    Just Call Me Chuck

They are basically the same thing:

People also ask
    What minerals are in crushed coral?
    Coral skeletons that make up crushed coral consist of calcium carbonate, which helps increase your aquarium's pH level up to 7.6 without the use of any chemicals. If you wish to increase the pH level further, all you need to do is either add crushed coral to your filter or simply drop a handful of it on the tank base.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

The crushed coral releases calcium slowly rather than at once like the bottled or powered stuff does. That is the biggest difference.

How about the wonder shells anybody use them?
    Just Call Me Chuck

Real Name
    Brian

I don't know why they added a water softener.
    So the water you're using for your fish comes from a softener and not straight from the well?

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    So the water you're using for your fish comes from a softener and not straight from the well?
    I bypass the softener right from the well. I ran I pipe after the sediment before the softener. Also for time being I put my softener on bypass to se how it affects my dishes and glasses .
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 04-14-2022 at 10:15 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Real Name
    Brian

And your water is still that soft... wow! Good move on the bypass. Softened water isn't all that good for discus...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast