AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with my KH

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Need some help with my KH

Well, I haven't had the need to adjust these things, but the people I've worked with in the past use either crushed coral as you are, or they remineralize with a mineral based cocktail. There are recipes here on the forum, mainly for reconstituting RO water. While I think the right usage of crushed coral would increase your kh, it would be nice to use something more beneficial to the fish than just ph stability. I'll look around and see if I can find some of these recipes. They don't just adjust kh/gh, but they create an ideal mineral base that discus need.

At this point, I would have to say yes, a KH product seems better in your situation than a simple alkaline buffer, especially if using an acid buffer as well. It kind of reminds me of an ex-roommate who kept his window air conditioner and space heater on at the same time. All he did was increase my electric bill by 300% while achieving the same temp as the rest of the house, lol... Also, using acid buffers can be very tricky and even dangerous. I have a friend who used it successfully for a long time, then one day something happened and he burned his fish alive.

Another thing to consider would be calcium chloride as least one ingredient. I've used this in the past to correct dorsal fin defects in fry. I never measured the kh when using this but I'm sure but was raised and my goal was achieved. The form I use is better known as Prestone Driveway Heat, it's 100% calcium chloride. Add a little epsom salt for magnesium is beneficial as well.

There are products out there that will increase kh and stabilize ph but they can be costly over time. Making your own concoction is much cheaper in the long run with the exact same results. https://www.amazon.com/Continuum-Aqu...01C5L5JX4?th=1

I would think so. Do you have the ingredients in the kH+ product?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

This video is pretty long but it may help as well when you have time http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-you-have-time!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Well, I haven't had the need to adjust these things, but the people I've worked with in the past use either crushed coral as you are, or they remineralize with a mineral based cocktail. There are recipes here on the forum, mainly for reconstituting RO water. While I think the right usage of crushed coral would increase your kh, it would be nice to use something more beneficial to the fish than just ph stability. I'll look around and see if I can find some of these recipes. They don't just adjust kh/gh, but they create an ideal mineral base that discus need.

At this point, I would have to say yes, a KH product seems better in your situation than a simple alkaline buffer, especially if using an acid buffer as well. It kind of reminds me of an ex-roommate who kept his window air conditioner and space heater on at the same time. All he did was increase my electric bill by 300% while achieving the same temp as the rest of the house, lol... Also, using acid buffers can be very tricky and even dangerous. I have a friend who used it successfully for a long time, then one day something happened and he burned his fish alive.

Another thing to consider would be calcium chloride as least one ingredient. I've used this in the past to correct dorsal fin defects in fry. I never measured the kh when using this but I'm sure but was raised and my goal was achieved. The form I use is better known as Prestone Driveway Heat, it's 100% calcium chloride. Add a little epsom salt for magnesium is beneficial as well.

There are products out there that will increase kh and stabilize ph but they can be costly over time. Making your own concoction is much cheaper in the long run with the exact same results. https://www.amazon.com/Continuum-Aqu...01C5L5JX4?th=1
    I happen to have a jar at home I bought it way back when I was thinking RO reconstitute. They don't spell out the ingredients. I also have calcium chloride and Epson salts and I have seen baking soda on some recipes.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Brian

The won't provide ingredients. They don't want you to know how easy it is to make it yourself, lol...

Do you have an extension office in your area that could analyze your water? It may help you create the perfect mix...

The won't provide ingredients. They don't want you to know how easy it is to make it yourself, lol...

Do you have an extension office in your area that could analyze your water? It may help you create the perfect mix...
    There is a local lab that is state certified. They are a well company and I think I paid them to do testing when I purchased the hose in 2015 but no big reed out on contents just acceptably of the well. Will look in my paperwork and see what I have.

This is what the test for according to there web site:
    Our laboratory can test for the the following:
    Bacteria
    Hardness
    Nitrates as N
    Nitrites as N
    pH
    Chlorides
    Turbidity
    Lead & Iron
    Metals
    Radon
    Radionuclides
    VOC (including MTBE)
    SOC (pesticides and herbicides)

What other test we need I have for calcium, Iron, phosphate, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. Plus the GH and KH.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Real Name
    Brian

I see several methods on the web. The easiest is calcium chloride, epsom and baking soda. This sounds good but not ideal. Other ingredients can be a source of iron, and zinc and potassium chloride. You can play with the amounts to make the perfect recipe but start small, or buy it pre-made but like I say, it can get expensive over time. Don't be concerned if ph raises to +8 as long as it's stabile.

I see several methods on the web. The easiest is calcium chloride, epsom and baking soda. This sounds good but not ideal. Other ingredients can be a source of iron, and zinc and potassium chloride. You can play with the amounts to make the perfect recipe but start small, or buy it pre-made but like I say, it can get expensive over time. Don't be concerned if ph raises to +8 as long as it's stabile.
    I have also a jar of Continuum Aquatics Flora Viv Reconstitute RO I can give it a try with that and RO on a separate tank and see how it goes. They also have it in a liquid.

https://smile.amazon.com/Continuum-A...01C5LJMD2&th=1
    Just Call Me Chuck

Brian
    I have a question, to reconstitute RO do you age it and if you do you make your adds before or after aging? I would think that you make your adds and let it age see where it sits after 24 hrs. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Thanks

I guess this summer my Tomato plants are going to get tank and RO waste all piped to the garden.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 04-28-2022 at 01:55 PM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

I bet some Asian expert would know how to raise kH using a home made mix.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

How about the right kind of rock that would slowly contribute Ca?

Real Name
    Steve

Just looking at this thread from the start again. Your water needs to be aged to allow it's inherent pH to stabilize. Then it can be used as is (maybe w/ prime) as long as you have good biological filter media (sponges) and you change water regularly. I think you are going down the rabbit hole of constantly throwing in chemicals to get something that may not be necessary.
    So don't shoot me, but I'm sure others will have comments.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    Brian
    I have a question, to reconstitute RO do you age it and if you do you make your adds before or after aging? I would think that you make your adds and let it age see where it sits after 24 hrs. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Thanks

I guess this summer my Tomato plants are going to get tank and RO waste all piped to the garden.
    I would add minerals then age. This will allow everything to be fully dissolved and give true readings.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Just looking at this thread from the start again. Your water needs to be aged to allow it's inherent pH to stabilize. Then it can be used as is (maybe w/ prime) as long as you have good biological filter media (sponges) and you change water regularly. I think you are going down the rabbit hole of constantly throwing in chemicals to get something that may not be necessary.
    So don't shoot me, but I'm sure others will have comments.
    I been there tried that PH crashes unless I replace the water every day. I do age my water 55 gallon barrel and 55 gallon tank.

I would add minerals then age. This will allow everything to be fully dissolved and give true readings.
    Thanks Brian nobody specifies that tidbit when they talk about reconstruing RO.
    Just Call Me Chuck

This video is pretty long but it may help as well when you have time http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-you-have-time!!
    I did watch it a few days ago.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast