AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Babies are eaten everytime.

Registered Member

Default Babies are eaten everytime.

I am a new person just learning the ropes, I have 2 pairs as i watched them very carefully for a long long time. I had no other fish in the tank. " pairs were on a massive tank.

I have tried separation dividers, this was not successful so resulted in 2 seperate tanks.

Time after time they produced eggs , they turned to fry, this was good. The fry then swim and die, never to be seen.Each time within 5 days they are either eaten by parents or dissolve but no babies.

I try to leave them alone when they have young fry but actually saw the pair chase and appear to eat the fry. They have night lights when they have young.

I removed one pair to their own tank ( i know they may not pair up again ) the ones in the tank have had 4 more lots and now leave a slime attached to the large leaves in the tank. All gone yet again. this has to be the 20plus times they have done whatever to the fry. No survivors.

We have eggs again and more slime on the plants. its like a veil.

Any ideas what else I can do please?

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Babies are eaten everytime.

If the eggs are on plant leaves then I guess you can't screen them.

Many times, females are the main culprit. I have one pair and the mother eats them as they start free swimming. I remove her after spawning and the dad raised them at first, now he eats or doesn't care for them as well and they die off.

The perfect breeding tank for discus is bare bottom, a single sponge filter and a breeding cone. Even then, some pairs never get it right.

Registered Member

The fry are 5 days before eaten by the pair then pull out the fry on day 4. Feed the fry on baby brine shrimp.

Cliff

Registered Member

Sadly Mr West and Mrs Hindley ( my pair have been named) are still prolific serial fry killers. I saw them eating the fry , early this time.
    What I don't understand is the slime all around the wide leaved plants. It was so bad I had to do a massive change 50%. everything was clogged by what I call slime.
    I have removed all the plants and cleaned their mess and the tank was clear by this morning.

I do not think they are meant to have young, should i just leave them and remove eggs every time or let them continue to feast on their young.?

Registered Member

[QUOTE=jeep;1363764]If the eggs are on plant leaves then I guess you can't screen them.

Many times, females are the main culprit. I have one pair and the mother eats them as they start free swimming. I remove her after spawning and the dad raised them at first, now he eats or doesn't care for them as well and they die off.

The perfect breeding tank for discus is bare bottom, a single sponge filter and a breeding cone. Even then, some pairs never get it right.

Registered Member

You can cut off the leaf with the eggs and place it in a cup of water. Raise the fry artificially when there is no other way.

Cliff

Hell, maybe you get a few saltines and YOU eat the next batch while THEY watch you... then quick psych-out head pump their direction and say, "What do you think about that?"

Show them who's boss! Tell them to produce or next time one of them can be the next snack. (And if the eggs are gross, keep a straight face until out of sight). Probably won't work, ...but made me feel better once
    -Elliot

Registered Member

LOL, Discus caviar

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Steven King

I saw a video once where a breeder had a pair who would always eat the fry. The breeder added a third discus to the breading tank, and the pair became much more protective of their babies.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by saking View Post
    I saw a video once where a breeder had a pair who would always eat the fry. The breeder added a third discus to the breading tank, and the pair became much more protective of their babies.
    Yes, sometimes this would work especially if the third Discus is larger. Then there are breeders that place their tanks side by side
    so the pairs are force to look at each other.

Cliff