ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New discus!

Registered Member

Default New discus!

Hello all!
    I aquired 8 full grown, from 18 to 20 cenitimeter fish from my godmother, also sold a couple and left myself this best quality and coloration of 5 fish - 2 blue diamonds and 3 tiger pigeon discus.
    What do you guys think? Do they look like good quality?
    I love them so much right now, they are two of my favorite discus strains - BD and PB! Love them to every single scale!

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: New discus!

Not bad at all. They look well cared for!

Registered Member

Thank You Brian! My girlfriend said that BDs looks like american football shape…

Real Name
    Tom

I don’t see that. You blue diamonds look like full bodied discus. Very nice!!

Registered Member

Thank You Tom! They indeed look very nice to me!

Real Name
    Brian

It's actually not a BD. More like a BD x SS - I can't remember the fancy name they use for this particular one. You can see it in the fine pattern in the gill plates and the yellowish color in the tail. BD's are solid blue from nose to tail. It may be a bit footballish but not as much as many I see out there. I still say not bad and well cared for.

This one has a high round body but is a bit weak in the dorsal area (kind of like yours). It may not be a show winner but it was one of my favorites!

2-20-05 002.jpg

Registered Member

Oh I see! Yeah it could be that it is a BD x SS cross, of course it was ordered by my godmother as purebred Blue Diamond haha
    Also your fish looks very nice and well nourished!

Registered Member

I agree with Brian that its a cross between Blue Diamond and Snakeskin, some people call this Blue Scorpion Discus.

Cliff

Registered Member

I can see the pattern on gill plate, but they doesn’t have a single spot anywhere else. Also some Europa Discus Center BD discus has yellowish tails and some pattern on the gill plates. Maybe they are a cross but BD’s genetics are dominant

Real Name
    Brian

BD x SS are a very popular cross because the BD has a fixed gene where the SS does not. Pure BD x BD will produce BD. SS x SS will produce SS and Turq's. The first generation from the BD x SS cross can produce BD or SS but easily produces a barless blue discus with much more pattern, almost spotting. It can also produce a very fine pattern similar to yours. I've seen the same type as yours being offered but I can't remember what they called it. My guess it that it's from a generation after the original cross, either sibling to sibling or parent to fry, but I don't know if it's fixed or not.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raimisx9 View Post
    I can see the pattern on gill plate, but they doesn’t have a single spot anywhere else. Also some Europa Discus Center BD discus has yellowish tails and some pattern on the gill plates. Maybe they are a cross but BD’s genetics are dominant
    The original BD babies were yellow in color, back around early 90's but after a few years they were cross with almost every type of Discus. The original price from the Hong Kong breeder were $300 for each baby, but a copy look like only cost $35 each. Moving foreward to 2012 a wholesaler in Hong Kong said they were buying these fish for only $1 each. So what's the catch?

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 04-14-2022 at 03:11 PM.

The last Discus you posted, the big PB is a very high quality fish. Your Godmother treated you to some good fish. Congratulations.
    Mama Bear