ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: need some help with my current situation

IN TIME OUT!

Default need some help with my current situation

after gathering information for a couple months i decided to start a tank to grow out some discus, i set up a 100 gallons tank and let it run for about a month throwing a little food in it, the tank setup is bare bottom with a canister filter and a photos plant coming in from the top, after a month i bought an ammonia block pad to be safe and went on to get the fish, i got 10 discus size whise they were a little small to be fair, this vendor only deals in discus fish, his water parameters are a bit different from mine where he has got his shop water is harder than at my house, i acclimated the fish by dripping water and released them, the first 2 weeks they where doing great, the were fed 4 times a day with a high protein small granule and once ever two days with a frozen mix both given to me by the guy who sold me the fish, i did a 30% water change every two days during this period, the fish were competing a bit to eat but everybody had his share, after two weeks the smallest fish started to lose interest in eating and started hanging in the corner, only going around in search of food when i gave them the frozen mix, after a couple more days another two fish started losing apetite so i contacted the guy who sold me the fish and he suggest i raise the temperature from 28 degree celsius(82.4 F) which he suggested at the start to 29(84.2 F), and wait a couple of days, after that the fish that stopped eating continued to do so and i spotted a white clump of poop during these days the ammonia pad ran out and i had 2 days with a little bit of nitrite between 0 and 0.2 ppm but then it settled and from there it's always been 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, i contacted him again and he told me to treat the fish with flagyl which is a metronidazole based medicine that we have here, 1000mg every 100 liters, wait for 4 days do a big water change and repeat, i did so and after the 8 days i did another water change and waited a couple days, nothing changed and i ended up spotting a fish with white poop (picture below), during this treatment period every fish except two stopped eating, i want to clarify that i don't know if they are absolutely eating nothing but they certantly aren't intersted in food when it gets offered and they do not go after it in any manner, this brings us to last thursday when i contacted him again and he suggest i raise the temperature to 32 degrees(89.6) since then nothing has changed except the fish move around more, but today i noticed the forehead of two or three fish looked a little deflated(picture below), i am very confused about the situation, except for loss of appetite most fish still have pretty good colour some are a little whiteish, most don't clamp they're fins and it doesn't look like they are breething heavily, i did notice some fin damage lately.

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

initial loss of appetite and white poop, problem persist after a metro treatment.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

loss of appetite, hanging in a corner.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

metronidozole 1000mg per 100 liters for 4 days -> water change -> repeat the dosage for 4 more days.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

360 liters (100 gallons), i believe the fish are at around 4 and a half months old, 10 fish, around 4 inches.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

30% every two days, when needed 60%.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

two months, it is bare bottom.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

i age my water in a 100 liters barrel, when more water is needed i use seachem prime, the swing is 0.2.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

seachem prime, one bottle cap for the barrel when needed.

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____32 celsius (89,4)

- ph _____ 6.5

- ammonia reading ____ 0

- nitrite reading ____ 0

- nitrate reading ____ 10ppm (i try to keep it always under 15)

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- i use municipal water, it's soft acidic water.

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

nothing new has been added to the tank

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

i feed the fish 4 times a day with a high protein granule once every two days with a frozen mix this food is the same they where eating at the seller's shop.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

white poop after metro:
    IMG20220410190152.jpg

deflated forehead:
    IMG20220413214555.jpg

Default Re: need some help with my current situation

Metro should be dosed daily for 12 days. This actually looks more like either intestinal lining or worm poo to me. If you don't have a microscope to tell you exactly what you are dealing with I'd worm with Absolute wormer (Prazi just gets tape worms). It's just a 1 day treatment. If that doesn't do the trick treat with metro for 12 days with a 60% WC every day during treatment.

It's best to add Prime straight to the tank either just before filling or while filling the tank. Other than the fact that 30% WC daily would be better I can see nothing else you are doing wrong. Your fish looks stunted. It may have come to you with parasites.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

It looks like intestinal lining to me. I would repeat the metro treatment and increase temp to 93 for 12-14 days. Most instructions say to repeat metro after 24 hours, but metro actually becomes inactive after 8 hours so you can dose twice per day. Metro is actually pretty mild on discus and the high heat makes it more effective against hex. Adding 2 TBS salt per 10g will also help with stress and respiration during the heat treatment.

If you don't see results within a week after heat and metro, you may want to consider worming as Liz recommends...

IN TIME OUT!

hey, thanks for the advice! for the record i forgot to mention i have an air stone in the tank, i will try this out and report back when i'm done with hopefully some good news!