ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: The turtle

Default The turtle

This is my wife’s problem well not so true I do the water changes and clean the filter. It's getting too big for its 55 G tank but has a happy life, I think. My daughter did this to us twice but once it was our fault getting these tiny turtles in Florida flea market where they are sold for educational purposes only. That’s an excuse to sell turtles under 4” and I think its illegal in Florida.
    The first two once they were grown about 6 “or 7” we got the aquarium in Flagler FL to take them in after my wife did a lot of begging. Next time my daughter and her boyfriend went to stay in our place in Ormond Beach FL and we begged her not to get turtles and she got two again anyway. Well to make a long story short my wife and have I been taking care of the two for years. I believe they are Yellow bellied turtle and they grow quite a bit and right now we only have one left from the two one died a few years ago. The survivor should be about 13 years old. I say it because I don’t know if it’s a female or male except once in a while we had some eggs in the tank but that’s when we had the two and they were never fertile.

turtle2.jpg

turtle1.jpg
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: The turtle

I love turtles, always have. the other day I found a baby yellow belly slider, a bird dropped it onto my concrete patio, it was unhurt. i thought about keeping it in a tank, but read how much work would be required, so I put it into my backyard goldfish pond. So far, two days later, it is still there, hiding/living in pond plants at the edge of the pond, with plenty of rocks to climb on if it wants to. Hope it stays! Your turtle is great!!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Default Re: The turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    I love turtles, always have. the other day I found a baby yellow belly slider, a bird dropped it onto my concrete patio, it was unhurt. i thought about keeping it in a tank, but read how much work would be required, so I put it into my backyard goldfish pond. So far, two days later, it is still there, hiding/living in pond plants at the edge of the pond, with plenty of rocks to climb on if it wants to. Hope it stays! Your turtle is great!!
    Barb
    This one is hardly any work except my wife hand feeds it egg white and that's all it will eat. I change the water once in a wile they like it dirty I think. but my wife keeps adding fresh. They just get so big and the 55 gallon seems small for it now. The winter it hibernates and does not dirty the water at all and does not eat much we have no heater just room temp.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th