AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Identification of tank mate

Registered Member

Default Identification of tank mate

Hi, when I set up my show tank I introduced a selection of tetras and a few Denison Barbs, these came with some Rummynose Tetras. Recently, as these fish have grown, there is one fish that I cannot identify, it must have been mixed with the others. It has grown considerably i.e. four times the size it was 6 weeks ago. Can anybody she any light? it's the one on the left of the discus and as of now it's 3 inches in length.

Fish Species.jpg

Real Name
    Jacob

Default Re: Identification of tank mate

Apollo shark, maybe?

I found this

Name: Silver Apollo Shark Family: Cyprinidae Species: Freshwater Shark Scientific Name: Luciosoma sp

More Details
    General info about Silver Apollo Shark
    These fish have an elongated body, a forked caudal fin and a dorsal fin that is set far back on their body. They have a dark, horizontal line that goes from their nose to their tail fin, they are green above the line and silvery white below. These fish are usually 10 inches. To keep Apollo Sharks in captivity, water pH should be between 6.0 and 7.8 and water temperature should range from 72ºF to 81ºF. The tank should be large with open areas for swimming, hiding places, plants, a cover to avoid them from jumping off and a gravel or rocky substrate. These fish can be kept in community aquariums as long as their tankmates are too large to swallow and aren’t shy or slow moving. They should be kept in groups of at least 6, if kept in smaller groups the less dominant fish will be constantly harassed.

Not ideal tank mate it also need very large aquarium once grown.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 04-14-2022 at 11:49 AM.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Registered Member JustinLoebbaka's Avatar
    Real Name
    Justin

Defiantly Looks Like Apollo
    FISH NERD

Registered Member

Oh dear Lord, how did an Apollo Shark slip into a batch of Tetras, the thing was less than an inch long I guess it was mixed up. The tank is 150 gallons and up until now the community including my five young discus are harmonious however I'll prepare to transfer it once I've found a suitable home. Just watched a video on YouTube and it definitely is an Apollo! I must admit it's a beautiful fish to watch swim and eat.

Thanks guys.